Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ide & Sata

Hello All,
    I've been reading and I need to know if you can install a SATA drive and a IDE drive togather.

Gigabyte Ga-81PE1000 Pro 2
    P4 2.6C
    2gig pc3200
    FX5950 ultra

You can have a IDE on the IDE bus, and the SATA one on the SATA bus. If you are asking if you could run both in a RAID configiration, you can't. And if you did, it would be limited to the slower IDE drives speed. :cool:

Comment

you can have both in the same system, but there are different channels for each. If you can be more specific with your question, we could give you a more specific answer without making assumptions.

Comment

What I am wanting to do is add a SATA drive with my IDE drive. Move all file and OS over to the new drive and remove the IDE drive all togather. Then add a DVD+-rw to go with the cd-rw, DVD-ROM and Zip 700. But the problem is that I have read (a while back) in MAX PC Mag that you can not use thee IDE bus 0 Master if you are using SATA port. I know I can loose the CD-RW, But I'm the one that has to live with my wife. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

i haven't heard that you will loose it if you use sata, in fact i'm possitive you wont. Although you wont have good results if simple 'move' the OS from the ide hdd to the sata one. You should install the OS fresh on the sata drive

Comment

minibubba's right
            The best way to do it is:
            Set the SATA as primary, format, install the OS on it. Copy anything you want from the IDE. Pull the IDE out.

Comment

Thanks Guys. That is what I will do.

Comment

I came looking for the same thing. I'm wanting to go down and get a 120G SATA to use as the primary drive. But because I cannot reinstall my copy of XP on it I was thinking about ghosting the IDE to the SATA. I prefer a clean install but my licences have been used I don't think I can. Is ghosting this going to work or do I have to go purchase a new copy of XP?

Comment

Your license might actually still work if you don't add anything new other than a drive. What do you mean it has been used? As long as that is the only computer you use it on, your XP license is fine. Even if you have to reactivate, it's no big deal. Anyway, I don't know if ghosting will work out because some of the drivers will be different and that might screw things up. It's better to reformat and do a clean install.

Comment

You should have no licencing prob that a quick phone call can't fix but if ya SATA controller isn't native to the southbridge then ya'll have to reinstall so that ya'll be able to supply Windows with the SATA controller drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X