Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why cant i just switch my current HDD into a new system??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why cant i just switch my current HDD into a new system??

Splash

:afro:
    OK so my signature is lame - I can live with it!

Originally posted by Splash
    Help please - all suggestions not involving ritual sacrifice greatly appreciated.
    Oh well, there goes my suggestion...

I see this error allot when changing HDDs on an XP install, reinstalling XP over the top has always fixed it and kept the settings for me.

Comment

thanks for the quick reply BK.
      so u just swap the disk to the new system and then reinstall the OS in the same partition huh.
      This keeps all the customisations Start menu and so on?
      Do u think i should do this if so should i reinstall W2k over the exisitng first then do the XP conversion or can i just go straight to xp?
      guess i can always restore via the DI anyway.
      Might try the 1 step.

anyone else have thoughts?
      Splash

Comment

when u change the system that dramatically, xp 2k nt, they all kick up a fuss, you could do same with a 98 install and it'd just redetect everythin and carry on after all the **** is installed, but ntx is a *****, and so if i get this problem i usually just format and set everything up how it was again, mind you i can get it identical within 9 hours... ask any1 that saw the resuults of my last format ;)

Comment

The answer is simple. Windows NT, 2000 and XP will give you an IDE boot error if you try to use the same setup on a motherboard with different southbridge chipsets or whatever controller device you are using - There is no real solution to this, aside from formatting and reinstalling.

The only solution, which isn't very efficent, is to copy the System folders of C:\Windows from a motherboard which uses the same chipsets as what you are trying to use. It normally leaves you with more errors than it is worth.

Comment

thanks for the concise answer Mr Tweak.

Now, what do u reccomend. Reinstall obviously.
            Can i expect to reinstall W2K in the same partition as original and have it pick up the exisitng settings?
            if yes can i cut out a step and just install XP over existing w2k installation and have it pick up the settings?
            or am i back to square one, full reinstall?
            Pls advise.

Everyone's answers much appreciated!!
            Splash

Comment

I always prefer doing a total fromat for each new install.

Comment

you should be able to reinstall w2k over yer existing install and it will work and keep yer current settings, i do this all the time when i am swapping HDDs between computers. so far i have seen no ill effects from it, and then upgrade to xp once its workin properly

Comment

Make sure you choose the upgrade and not New Installation option though... :)

Comment

Thank u BK & Mr Tweak. :)

U are in fact Tweak Gods!

Cheers
                    Splash

Comment

Originally posted by skullshot
                      when u change the system that dramatically, xp 2k nt, they all kick up a fuss, you could do same with a 98 install and it'd just redetect everythin and carry on after all the **** is installed, but ntx is a *****, and so if i get this problem i usually just format and set everything up how it was again, mind you i can get it identical within 9 hours... ask any1 that saw the resuults of my last format ;)
                      saw? I didn't see anything... different from before... and thats the whole point :P
                      SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
                      Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

If you are wondering what the hell causes this, it has a name. It's called the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and as Mr. Tweak said, it is to do with hardware and firmware level differences between motheroards, and as it works at a very low level in the OS, it can't be played with a great deal.

Comment

hmm.. I've had good luck using Aloha Bob's PC Relocator to move all documents and user settings from one PC to a new one.. you have to have a way of linking up the 2 PCs though [ethernet, laplink/nullmodem cable, or USB]. I never used it on any of my own systems but i have used it to help other people migrate to a new computer with no problems.

Comment

Working...
                          X