format/re-format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• format/re-format?

In a month or so I'm going to put in a new mobo, ram, case, and processor, so I'm obviously gonna need a reformat of my system hard drive with XP on it, I'll be using the same xp again. Also, I'm taking it that my second hardrive wont need a format (it just has a few games on it). Essentially, I just wanna know the basics of how to go about a format, what does it do to the drive (dont you lose all the data on it or something?), etc etc, or, if someone could point me to a really good online walkthrough, that'd be great, but I'd much rather hear info from a person. Thx alot! :thumb: : peace2: Mista K6

when you format, you lose all of your data, Not to worry though, its VERY simple with WinXP, as it does it for you during installation (asks you if you want too) and its VERY simple. Also most Hard drives come with some type of formatting utility etc. You can also boot into a Clean DOS environment and type format c: then it asks if your sure etc, and then it Formats as long as you follow its instructions

EDIT: If I were you, Id probably reformat the HD with the games on it too, as they would probably like a clean install too with all the new hardware/

Comment

formatting just writes in zeros. lots and lots of zeros. you can format in the xp setup, dont have to seperately boot into dos. remember to backup everything..

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
        EDIT: If I were you, Id probably reformat the HD with the games on it too, as they would probably like a clean install too with all the new hardware/
        Umm... that kinds defeats the purpose of having your programs loaded onto a different partition, doesn't it?

Mista K6,
        Just format the boot drive during the fresh install of Windows. Make sure to do a fresh install though and not a repair since you're changing out so many major components. Do a full format (not the quick) and you'll be set. Once you get the OS loaded and updated, then you can start creating shortcuts to the executables on your other partition. This will allow you to use your saved programs as normal.

As a side note, some programs require .dll files to be installed, so you may have to install the program again, but this is the exception and not the rule. I tend to run all my games from a secondary partition and the only problem that I've come up against so far is that Diablo 2 doesn't detect the installation of the game on my system when it autoplays the disc... but the shortcut runs the game just fine.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
          Umm... that kinds defeats the purpose of having your programs loaded onto a different partition, doesn't it?
          I just meant that there could possibly be some issues regarding the Hardware changes, with the games.

Comment

Ok, that seems really simple. See, my main issue is I have about 500 songs (mp3's), lots of downloaded programs (I'm 56k, so it takes a looooong time to d/l new drivers, etc) and what not that I want to keep, but dont wanna burn a million CD's for it. So if I can leave em on the F drive (the maxtor) then it's all good. I'm gonna re-install all the games anyways (UT2003 is wicked touchy about new hardware), but as long as I can save the save files, it should be all good. One last thing is I'm going to be using the Dell installed version of XP, but XP is licensed by Microsoft, so it should still be the same program and I can install it on a non-Dell PSU, mobo, etc, right? Thx alot: peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Actually, no, you cannot use that Dell Version of XP, as it normally searches for a certain BIOSstring on ya mobo., and if it dont find a Dell BIOS string, ya normally cannot install it.

NOW, dont let this go off topic into trying to crack that, as that will probably get the thread closed.

Comment

Yah, I thought about that for a while too, I actually had that same opinion before I talked to my local techs. They say Dell CANNOT tamper with XP in any way (licenses, etc) and that anything that Dell has on there (Dell solution center, or Dell Bios) is strictly an application only, or in the case of the BIOS, motherboard related. Since I'm getting a new mobo, they said I should be fine. Also, you can even tweak a Dell system (flash the BIOS, change the PSU, etc) so that you can bypass and Dell "locks" etc. Kind of an interesting project to take on one of these days... :thumb: : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Well, even if you can't use your dell version of XP, you can buy a Copy of XP Pro for $143 or XP Home for $93 off newegg.com

If you are a studend you can get it at this price. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...116-112&DEPA=6 It claims that is an upgrade, but I assure you, it is the full version, and it does not ever ask you for any sort of proof that you are upgrading.

And here are some tips noone has suggested yet. You will probably want to copy your Favorites folder, along with your My documents folder, and carefully think about any program that saved files in their own directories. If you have trillian installed you can just zip it up, and the entire program will run perfectly once you have Windows running again.

So I'd just suggest take an hour or two and go through folder by folder, because it is hard to remember everything you might want to keep. Copy them all straight to your 160 GB, and you're good to go.

Comment

I bought my copy of xp pro as an upgrade a few months after launch, and it turned out to be the full version. The tech at future shop said he knew that the upgrades they had were really full, and not to spend double for nothing. I wonder how common this is.
                    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                    asus a7n8xe-dlx
                    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                    bfg 6800gt
                    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                    samsung dvdrw
                    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                    seagate sataII 500gb
                    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                    samsung sata dvd-rw
                    2x1024 ocz black
                    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

maximus7001, all XP upgrade editions are full versions. the only difference is it asks for a previous windows CD when installing

you can easily do a clean instal with any XP 'upgrade' CD

Comment

Sweeeeeet :thumb: . I wonder if people could just use any copy of XP (from a friend etc) to use as a "previously installed" version of XP, and then use an upgrade CD to get a brand new version at half the price? It seems like an awful loophole for microsoft to overlook. I dont have an awful lot on this comp, so I should be able to go through my files quickly. Other than that, it seems simple. Thx alot, : peace2: Mista K6. Oh yah, I e-mailed Dell about the what they do to XP, should be getting it back anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mista K6
                          Sweeeeeet :thumb: . I wonder if people could just use any copy of XP (from a friend etc) to use as a "previously installed" version of XP, and then use an upgrade CD to get a brand new version at half the price? It seems like an awful loophole for microsoft to overlook.
                          when I said 'previous windows CD' I ment a win98, ME, or 2k CD...a previous version of Windows that can be upgraded to WinXP

Comment

ahhh, ok. So what then, I'll have to use the old Windows 98 CD I have on my old old comp?

Comment

sure, boot off the winXP CD and at some point it'll ask you for it...just stick in the win98 CD and enter the CD-Key

actaully, I'm not even sure that you'll need to insert the CD, all you may need is the CD-Key

:cheers:

Comment

Working...
                              X