The myth of the Magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The myth of the Magnets

They say bringing a magnet to a computer will permanently wreck it. Is it true? Or does it destroy data on the magnetic HDD? Will replacing magnetic HDDs with a solid state hard drive make it magnet proof?
    Yes! Beware of magnets!
    75.00%
    No... Just a myth.
    25.00%
    Maybe, depending on your Computer.
    0.00%
    Dont know....
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Re: The myth of the Magnets

The worst that a magnet could possible do is mess with the hard drive, otherwise there is nothing else inside a PC that can be effected by field. PLUS, you need a helluva powerful magnet to wreck a hard drive. This is mostly a myth.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter View Post
      The worst that a magnet could possible do is mess with the hard drive, otherwise there is nothing else inside a PC that can be effected by field. PLUS, you need a helluva powerful magnet to wreck a hard drive. This is mostly a myth.
      The only other thing a magnet could reck is a floppy drive but like, and like casecutter said u need a very powerful magnet to wreck a harddrive, usually u need a electically powered magnet. So you shouldnt owrry

Comment

Phew! Thanks guys! now I can let my friend play his "magnetix" while I browse the net, and I can remove the "no-magnets-allowed-within-20-paces-or-get-out" rule.
        Last edited by Aguiluz; 11-10-2007, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Myth

Comment

I've seen reports that laptop HD's can be destroyed by magnets (particulary usb GPS) - the magnet cause the read head to smack into the platter thus destroying the drive.
            http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Just as Kheldar said, I know this to be true. I have destroyed a HDD with a magnet, and not a hugh one. Yes it was on, and It was for a test in one of my computer classes. The teacher asked us this very same question, so we deiced to try it. We held the magnet to the HDD when the computer was off, and when it was on. When it was off, nothing occured, but when it was on, the hard drive became corrupt, and had errors all though it. It would not work, and could not be repaired. It did make some noise when we stuck that magent next to it.

Comment

Thanks for providing this info.I would be aware in near future.

Comment

i know this might seem like gravedigging, but i just want to clarify this whole issue.

Data on magnetic HDDs is stored in small segments with a positive or negative (or North or South of you wish) charge where the opposite charges act in the same way as binary code (1s and 0s). The order of these charges is read by the head, which is then converted to a digital signal at a semiconductor junction.

A magnet has the potential to disrupt this order, and thus destroy the data. However, with modern HDDs, there is alot of magnetic dampening material to reduce the magnetic flux that can be delivered to the platters. Even if the platters were exposed, however, the data would not be destroyed simply by having the platters within the magnetic field. To truly destroy the data, the magnetic field must be oscillating such that an eddy current is induced in the platter, thus reordering the magnetised segments. For an eddy current to be induced in the platter, the magnetic flux must be sufficiently high to counteract the charge of the HDD's platters. This overall charge depends on the size and amount of data held on the HDD, which determines the charge density. If the charge density of the HDD is, indeed, less than the magnetic flux caused by the oscillation of the magnetic field, the binary charges on the platters will begin to be reodered, and the data destroyed.

So, in short, yes, it is possible for the data on a HDD to be destroyed by a magnet, but it is very unlikely with the technologies employed in modern HDDs.

Comment

Likely will work very nicely with a decent magnet and your buddies USB drive though

Comment

oh LSD you sly devil! lol yeah it probably would!

Comment

Go on now, test it out! I would but I dont have a magnet on hand!

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          Likely will work very nicely with a decent magnet and your buddies USB drive though
                          Wait, do you mean that even flash drives can be magnetically damaged?

Comment

Yeap, sure can if the magnet is strong enough

Comment

Well now lets all try an experiment! Find the largest magnet you have. Mine is on the refrigerator and run it across a floppy disk you are not concerned with, (like one of them old AOL disks) Now pop it in and read the data off of it. Answer solved. If we can solve so many problems then why do we lose so many Nanoseconds?
                              http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
                              http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
                              Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
                              Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
                              Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
                              4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
                              (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
                              (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
                              (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
                              Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                              Mid size ATX case with show through panel
                              2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
                              Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
                              Logitech G500 USB mouse
                              Monitor: CMV937A
                              7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
                              Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Working...
                              X