Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD K9

Rumoured AMD K9 processor specs.Digit-Life

If AMD has a good built in peltier...i would switch to AMD b/c a good TEC can get 10C and think of the o/cing ability, unless they make it so you cant unlock the multiplier

Comment

AMD is advertising this position for a K9 bus and Northbridge engineer.

DESCRIPTION OF POSITION: Verification of K9 microprocesor with emphasis on the K9 external bus and Northbridge. SPECIFIC JOB FUNCTIONS: 1. Works with Applications Engineering to develop functional specifications for new products.2. Reviews methods appropriate to develop new products and selects best method of achieving desired performance and function goals.3. Utilizes technical skills in multiple product developments.4. Works on related projects and/or assignments as needed.5. Use Knowledge of verilog, C++, Perl and computer/microprocessor architecture and design to verify the external interfaces of the cpu and the interal logic structures that drive these interfaces. PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: BS with 7+ years exp or MS degree with 5+ years in Electrical or Computer Engineering. Should have expertise in Bus architecture and verification for microprocessors and computer systems.

Comment

AMD K9 to come in 2005 or 2006?xbit

Comment

AMD sets date for son of Opteron

Advanced Micro Devices, which released its Opteron chip only six months ago, is already planning to come out with a successor in 2005.

The Sunnyvale, Calif.-based company is "working like crazy" on the K9, an underlying architecture, or blueprint, for a new generation of chips, said Fred Weber, chief technology officer of AMD's computational products group, during an interview at the Microprocessor Forum here Wednesday.

Chips based on the K9 architecture will likely be released--at least in sample quantities--by the second half of 2005, Weber said. AMD engineer Randy Allen is overseeing the project.

Chip companies release new architectures every three to four years, but the process is becoming increasingly difficult because of power consumption and the shrinking size of transistors. The K8 architecture, the basis for the Opteron released in 2003, was unveiled in 1999 by Weber at the same conference. Chips based on the K8 design were originally due at the end of 2001.

Although Weber declined to provide technical details about the K9, processors that are based on the architecture will likely be capable of containing multiple chip cores--the "brain" of the chip--and of running one or more application threads. Putting more than one core inside the processor boosts performance in a relatively efficient way, Weber and others at the conference said. Opteron, in fact, is designed in a way that enables a second core to be added, Weber noted.

"We will have a multicore product," Weber said.

AMD is also looking at adding threading to future chips. Simultaneous multithreading essentially enables a chip to run two applications, or two "threads" of the same application, at the same time--thereby reducing the time it requires to complete a task. Threading, however, does not provide as much of an improvement to overall performance as multicore technology does, according to Weber.

Most chips that come out over the next few years will likely feature a host of new materials and structures, such as multiple-gate transistors and strained silicon layers, according to analysts.

More information

Cnet

Comment

:drool: reading the description in the first post nearly made me wet myself

however, this quote:has me concerned. Although, i must admit I don't know much about it. I should probably do some reading first...

Comment

<center>AMD talks about future CPU micro-architecture innovations
              AMD K8, AMD K9, AMD K10, AMD K11?
              xbit

Comment

K9 latest

Although the chip was not disclosed on the roadmap, the next-generation K9 will ship very late in 2005, Meyer said. Analyst Krewell added there is a strong possibility that the die will contain more than one processing core.

eWEEK

Comment

<center>AMD K9s scheduled for late 2005, 2006
                  Low power chips will be the name of the game
                  </center>

ROADMAPS SEENThe Inquirer

Comment

:drool:

Comment

Working...
                    X