Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.2a Question

This ones new to me on a CPU ...

Getting ready to install a retail 2.2a. The stock heat sink has thermal tape on it. I'm not overclocking it.

What's the verdict on this ... since its going to be a stock system, do I go with the tape? Or remove it and use Arctic Silver.

If so ... clean bottom of heat sink off (tape reside) with acetone?

Even if you don't plan on overclocking (what a shame with that processor), it is better to get rid of the thermal tape. While some are about half decent, most just plain suck. Arctic Silver will not only give you better temperatures, but also more protection and a longer lifespan on the processor itself because of it.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Arctic Silver II made a difference of about 3 degrees C with my 1.7GHz Willamette, but please be aware that due to the large size of the IHS included with the P4 that you will use a lot more Arctic Silver than on an Athlon core.

And it's also important to leave the Arctic Silver to work its way in for a few days - as the silver works its way into the little crevices of the IHS your temperature will drop a few degrees :)
      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Ya ... I thought I'd have ta yank it off.

On my 933 running the stock heatsink & paste supplied wasn't all that bad ... 38C under stress. I did see a 6 to 10C drop when I switched to Arctic Silver and a Swifttech Heatsink ... but never overclocking I figured big deal this time.

Surprised to see the tape though ... heard all the negative stuff on it (mostly vid cards) but never bumped into it on any Intel heatsink.

Oh ... and the large amount A S to use ... no big deal, I got a whole syringe left from my vid card. And life span on the CPU ... I seem to be running about 8 months to a year on upgrades.

Have to laugh ... I quite smoking about five years ago ... my big incentive was that here in California I'd save $1800+ a year easy and thus I could treat myself to the cost of an upgrade ... if I could only stay off the coffin nails.

Worked like a charm!

Thanks for the help guys,

Clayman

Comment

I did a mod on the stock Intel sink

replaced the std cooler with a Delta 7000RPM fan running at 1/2 speed. makes no noise and runs my 2.4G at 35deg C

Alpha is better thous

32 at idle with 80mm 5000RMP delta

Comment

Soverign....

Firstly....How did you get it to run @ 1/2 speed??

The 7-volt trick with the molex, or an adapter of some kind??

Secondly....I'm running a 1.8A with volcano7+ and the lowest I can get at idle is 39 degrees. Makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong??
            Office Rig : Asrock Extreme 6, 4790k, H100, 4 x 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaw 2133's, EVGA GTX580 SC, Samsung XP941 512Gb M.2, Win8.1 Pro 64-bit, NZXT case with an Antec TPQ1000 psu
            WHS : Norco 20-bay case, HX1000, Intel G620/Z68 UD4, 16Gb 1600 ram, Velo 600Gb running Win8.1 Pro, 2 x LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i with 8 x 3Tb Hitachis in Raid6 and a bunch or random drives.

Comment

That temp is just fine as most ppl have their's in the low-mid 40's. :smokin:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Your doing nothing wrong

The Alpha is a super cooler.

I have an Adapter that puts resistance on the fan, so i can slow it down with the turn of a dial

also note that to do 32deg i ran my system at default and dropped the core voltage to 1.375v

works perfectly

Comment

That's very cool...... never even considered lowering the voltage. Everyone seems bent on getting it up rather than down.

I'll give it a try and be back soon..... I'm back...........

That is amazing...... actually boosted my 3DMark2001SE scores by about 200, and dropped the temp under Prime95 by a full 7 degrees.

Currently idle temp = 23 degrees (was 25 when I ran the test) and under full (100%) load with prime95, ranged 42.5 to 43.5 degrees.

Pure genius.

Thanks a heap SOV. You're the Man.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
                  Office Rig : Asrock Extreme 6, 4790k, H100, 4 x 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaw 2133's, EVGA GTX580 SC, Samsung XP941 512Gb M.2, Win8.1 Pro 64-bit, NZXT case with an Antec TPQ1000 psu
                  WHS : Norco 20-bay case, HX1000, Intel G620/Z68 UD4, 16Gb 1600 ram, Velo 600Gb running Win8.1 Pro, 2 x LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i with 8 x 3Tb Hitachis in Raid6 and a bunch or random drives.

Comment

Working...
                  X