AMD Thoroughbred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Thoroughbred

Does anyone know when the new AMD Thoroughbred comes out?

• 1900+ XP
    • Asus A7V333 MB
    • 512MB Samsung DDR PC2700
    • Gainward Gforce 4 Ti4400
    • Audigy Xgamer Sound Card
    • Sony 19" Trinitron Monitor w/.24 and 1600x1200 @85Hz
    • Lite-on 32/12/40
    • Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM
    • Antec sx840 w/ 400w PS

Late this month, early next by all reports and AMD's site has already started to put up entries for a 2200+ CPU. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

should be very interesting how it compares to the Northwood 2.4a :thumb:

Comment

Even more interesting will be to see how it performs next to a P4 2.53b...I'm putting my money on the p4 :D

Comment

My money is going on the AthlonXP......for one thing the current athlon XP's already rape every pentium 4 so far in most benchmarks......even my athlon thunderbird is a p4 rapist.....now to think that's using .18 technology let's see how much faster .13 and how much cooler they run and best of all how much faster the clock speeds jump up....I just wish AMD would jump up higher then 70Mhz everytime.......AMD FOR LIFE!!!!!!

Comment

Sorry but since the 2.4GHz P4 the Athlon has been left behind but seeing how the .13's goes for headroom will be interesting. :smokin:

Comment

No, the athlon 2100+ raped the P4 2.4GHz in almost every benchmark except memory benchmarks cuase the P4 is alot better then the athlons at handling that.......I ain't impressed with nothing except clock speed on the pentium 4 and the clock throttling ability that it has.......other then that its athlon for life.....my little athlon 1.4 is faster then the 1.7 P4 by 44%!!!! go to tweak3d.net and there is a review on the 2100+ vs 2.4GHz guess who won?

Comment

Really the 2.4 P4 was pretty close with the 2100+ but the 533MHz FSB P4's have jumped away at the moment but $ for performance, the AMD still has it. :smokin:

Comment

OMG I forgot about that bus speed in crease....ya AMD really needs to pump theres up......its gotten out of hand.....but in my opinion, with clock speed being so much higher and price being so much higher and clock speed being so much higher it shows you how a 1.7GHz would perform against the 1.7GHz AthlonXP in my opinion the P4 is a joke considering that the P3 outperformed them when they first came out.....

Comment

[rant]

ReSpAwN DeMoN, before you join the bunch of rabid AMD enthusiasts screaming "Intel SUX!!! I'll never buy an Intel CPU even if AMD's next one SUX!!!", have a look at the past...

I like and respect CPUs from both vendors. Before the Athlon launched, no self respecting tweaker had an AMD based system, in fact they were laughing stock. I even remember when I bought my first IBM 6x86 based system, it was the fastest CPU around!!! Quake wasn't invented then :D

Sure, AMD has the price-to-performance edge currently, but Intel is too wily to just let AMD run all over them. And just remember, up until the 70's AMD was actually a part of Intel! The U.S. Government needed redundancy in case Intel's fab failed. When Intel started making several fab plants, AMD was cast off on their own and started rebadging Intel CPUs.

Yes the Athlon is better from a direct clock speed ratio, but please note the Athlon core is already 3 years old. The Pentium 4 core is only 2 years old, and is more scalable than the Athlon. Sorry to dissapoint, but the "NetBurst" core will reach higher clock speeds than AMD will with Athlon (x86-64 should remedy that).

So before you jump on your high horse please look at both sides of the fence :)

[/rant]
                    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

That's true....hey I'll admit it right now..there are alot of things that I like beter about P4 then the athlon....such as the cover for the core? so that they are virtual unbreakable......the clock throttling ability? I couldn't even begin to imagin what would happen if my heatsink fell off, ya its on correctly and securely but what if those little tabs break.....another thing.......were the K6/2's really that bad? I had a K6/2 500MHz I could have sworn they were faster then P2's

Comment

Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
                        another thing.......were the K6/2's really that bad? I had a K6/2 500MHz I could have sworn they were faster then P2's

No - they were slower :thumbs do

They were a good budget chip, but a K6-2 500MHz was about as fast as a Pentium II 400MHz in Office apps and 3DNow! accelerated games, but about the speed of a 266MHz Pentium II in unoptimised games. Thank God AMD fixed their anaemic FPU with the Athlon :)

And the K6-2 chips were nowhere near as overclockable as a Celeron :(

Comment

TBred 2200 vs. P4 2.53... hmmm.... i'd have to say P4, simply because the Athlon has no FSB advantages in this upgrade, the P4 does. There is no FSB boost, no core change, no optimizations, just size. I do believe Athlons will be more O/C'able and perform better than P4's in that situation (.13 situation, i mean) but Intel has done considerably more than AMD in the past 6 monthes to scale their product. Ill buy a TBred, simply because im a poor college student (either that or ll buy a XP2200 because the TBred release will drive down prices...)
                          Im an AMD fan, and i dont just yell "Intel sux", i yell "wait until the Hammer boys..."

How much are P4 2.53's anywho?

Comment

Originally posted by JediAgent
                            How much are P4 2.53's anywho?

Can you mortgage your house for one? :laugh:

Comment

Working...
                            X