• Show
Clear All

• P4 motherboards????

Hello
    with so many new boards out there...
    I just wanted opinions on the best overall
    board for the P4. Not considering price
    Thanks..........

So far, it looks like boards based on either the Intel i845D or SiS 645 chipsets are the best way to go. And since they both use DDR memory, there should always be a source for additions you may make in the future. There has been a lot scoop around the web about RDRAM not being popular... which means that there is no surety that it will be readily available in the future.

Just food for thought. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

You forgot the VIA P4X266A chipset Darth...... I have been extremely impressed with my Shuttle AV40R (based on the earlier P4X266 chipset), and the P4X266A simply offers official support for a 533MHz FSB and faster memory performance.

The 845D has been a bit of a disappointment as far as performance is concerned - but the SiS 645 has been faultless for my reviewing collegue Sov (where is he when you need his opinion) :?:

So if it were me suggesting an option - I would look at boards featuring either the VIA P4X266A or the SiS 645 chipset :)
      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

:)

From what I have personaly used SiS 645 and P4X266 or P4X266A are definatly the way to go

Stay clear of RDRAM I850 sollutions unless you just want to have that 3.2GB/s memory bandwidth because from what I can see and have been told RDRAM sollutions from Intel will dry up very soon since their release of the I845D

As for I845D at the moment its performance is pretty un-inspiring compared to VIA and SiS released.

I would be on the lookout for either an Epox 4SDA+, ASUS P4S333, ASUS P4X266 or one of the other VIA or SiS combinations

As for ALI, Don't even bother.

Comment

I'm not much into the Intel scene right now, but don't you think the i850 is going to get a price drop, seeing as how the i845 is going to soak up econo and midrange buyers? Besides, Intel should be releasing a newer chipset in a few monthes when it goes to 533MHz FSB. So theoretically the i850 could soon be price viable, and from what i have read, it is almost equal with the P4X266A...
          ... now if only if you had extra RDRAM lying around the house...

Comment

Best P4 mobo should be the Intel D850GB (without any built-in LAN or Audio Card). You should use RDRAM to fully enjoy P4 capabilities.

Don't go for an 845 chipset mobos...

Comment

Originally posted by ac6210sr
              Best P4 mobo should be the Intel D850GB (without any built-in LAN or Audio Card). You should use RDRAM to fully enjoy P4 capabilities.

Don't go for an 845 chipset mobos...

But the Intel board doesn't overclock :cry:
              What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

check this out [URL=http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=review&dId=36&dPage=3]
                impressive stuff huh:zzz:

Comment

Working...
                X