compatibility or hardware fault ? asrock X79 , Xeon 2687 ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compatibility or hardware fault ? asrock X79 , Xeon 2687 ES

Hello people. Until recently i was running a system based on an Intel xeon 2687 ES engineering sample cpu on a gigabyte X79 UD3 mobo and 8gb ddr3 1866 kingston beast ram. My corsair H60 watercooler leaked while pc was powered off and nearly flooded the mobo for a few seconds. I took everything apart dried the board and then cleaned it with alcohol. I believe that water-antifreeze mix only got to the motherboard but i could be wrong. After letting it dry for few days i connecting everything up but it was all dead. No power would go to the motherboard no fans spinning nothing. I made an attempt to force power through the atx connector jumpers but got no display on the monitor . I have now bought an Asrock X79 extreme motherboard at a very good offer (nearly out of money when this happened). After connecting everything there is no display but i can hear 5 short beeps. I tried connecting just cpu and cooler with no ram and graphics and the beeps were 3 long followed by few seconds pause and then infinently continued 3 beeps pattern. I do not have the device to check error codes. Does anyone know what those beeps correspond to ? I ve emailed Asrock support but due to the chinese new year it will take a week or more
    to get a reply. Has anyone any luck with xeon Es engineering sample cpu 's and asrock X79 mobos ? I know that some boards might not work though most will. Its hard to find even a tech support with the ability to check lga2011 components since its very rare in my part of the world. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: compatibility or hardware fault ? asrock X79 , Xeon 2687 ES

Originally posted by rory13 View Post
    Hello people. Until recently i was running a system based on an Intel xeon 2687 ES engineering sample cpu on a gigabyte X79 UD3 mobo and 8gb ddr3 1866 kingston beast ram. My corsair H60 watercooler leaked while pc was powered off and nearly flooded the mobo for a few seconds. I took everything apart dried the board and then cleaned it with alcohol. I believe that water-antifreeze mix only got to the motherboard but i could be wrong. After letting it dry for few days i connecting everything up but it was all dead. No power would go to the motherboard no fans spinning nothing. I made an attempt to force power through the atx connector jumpers but got no display on the monitor . I have now bought an Asrock X79 extreme motherboard at a very good offer (nearly out of money when this happened). After connecting everything there is no display but i can hear 5 short beeps. I tried connecting just cpu and cooler with no ram and graphics and the beeps were 3 long followed by few seconds pause and then infinently continued 3 beeps pattern. I do not have the device to check error codes. Does anyone know what those beeps correspond to ? I ve emailed Asrock support but due to the chinese new year it will take a week or more
    to get a reply. Has anyone any luck with xeon Es engineering sample cpu 's and asrock X79 mobos ? I know that some boards might not work though most will. Its hard to find even a tech support with the ability to check lga2011 components since its very rare in my part of the world. Thanks in advance for any help.
    You can't start the board without memory. The three beep error is a memory error in the first 64K of the memory... because none is installed in the board.

AMI BIOS POST Beep Codes

Put some memory in there and take it from there. But this is just the beginning.

First, there are three generations of Intel E5-2687W processors, although only two of those would work with an X79 board and the original 2011 socket.

Still, one generation is a Sandy Bridge E processor, the other an Ivy Bridge E processor.

ARK | Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2687W (20M Cache, 3.10 GHz, 8.00 GT/s Intel® QPI)

ARK | Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2687W v2 (25M Cache, 3.40 GHz)

The question at this point is which ES version do you have? My guess would be Sandy Bridge E.

While X79 boards can work with both versions of these processors, all of the Ivy Bridge E processors, including the E5-2687W v2, require a special BIOS update before it will work correctly. Your X79 board must have at least BIOS version 2.60 in order to work with Ivy Bridge E processors. If you bought your board new with BIOS 2.60 or greater, you're fine. If you bought a used board, you'll must check what BIOS version you have.

If it is a used board, and it sounds like it is, I hope it did not have a bad Sandy to Ivy BIOS update (2.60) done on it. As in not done correctly, which is common. If it has a bad 2.60 update, you'll be replacing the BIOS chips.

Comment

The bios version the motherboard had from factory is 2.8 Also its the V1 version of 2687 CPU with 3.1ghz and 20mb cache, but its an Es engineering sample and not the final release. With ram and graphics card radeon 6850 on the beeps are 5. So CPU failure?

Comment

Try the video card in the second PCI-E slot, swap out anything you have. I'd bet it is a Bios issue though...
        MSI X-99SLI
        Intel 5930K WATER
        EVGA Nilla 1080
        POWER!

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

I did this> :) Default RMA discussion banned

Comment

Working...
        X