Fatal1ty Fan Power/Connections and AXTU Fan Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatal1ty Fan Power/Connections and AXTU Fan Tuning

I just finished installing my new Fatal1ty Z68 to replace a Maximus IV Extreme. I have a couple of comments and questions.

1) I have a push/pull H50 fan setup and both fans need power as well as a means to run them at the same speed. From what I can tell one CPU headers allows for speeds adjustment while the other is 100% powered all of the time. There is also one single chassis fan header that will run and increase or decrease speed automatically based on temperature while the other two do not depend on any type of temperature reading. Two of the three chassis headers can be adjusted on a scale of 1-10 in the AXTU software while the other is on a scale of 1-4. Now that I mention it, even if I set chassis1 to manual in BIOS, set it at level 1 AND set it at level 1 in teh AXTU software, the fan still runs at 1800 RPM. Basically, there are five headers that are all different which makes it almost impossible to match two similar devices that need to be powered from these headers. I have also noticed that between the chassis1 header and the CPU1 header that regulate speed based on temperature, the speeds are different with identical fans even though the scale is set on the same level in AXTU. I say this based on the fact my fans were at 800 and 1300 RPM's when the fan level was set to level 1. Is there another version of the AXTU or a BIOS version that is different from 1.3 that addresses any of this?

2) Is there any way to control the max and min RPM's of my fans? I noticed that the lowest they will idle at is 800+ RPM's and I have seen them run much lower with a different motherboard and software.

3) Is there any way to control the rate at which the fans will increase and decrease speed? I ran Prime95 to quickly get some heat into my CPU to see how the fans reacted, and it takes nearly a half minute for the fans to get up to speed. The same goes for when I stop Prime95 and the CPU has cooled off. It takes another half minute for the fans to go make to idle. These CPU's heat up and cool off extremely quick and the fans need to keep up. When I had the Asus MIVE the fan increase and decrease was almost instantaneous.

4) Is there a way to setup up a custom fan profile based on temperature instead of using a 1-10 scale? Anything over a 2 or 3 just runs way too loud when the computer is at idle. Using the AI Suite with the motherboard I mentioned earlier, I could set up a custom profile and create points along the chart as too how much %-wise I wanted the fans to run based on temperature. In this day and age with software and technology, I find it hard to set up my board using a 1-10 scale or 1-4 scale, especially when it's something as important as CPU temperature.

I know most of this I have mentioned can be fixed with software updates. Is there a new update to AXTU in the near future? Is there an older version that perhaps works better? Is there another software suite that anybody could recommend that might help?

Thank you in advance for any input.
    Last edited by JJFIVEOH; 12-23-2011, 02:54 AM.

Re: Fatal1ty Fan Power/Connections and AXTU Fan Tuning

If your fans four pin and support pwm then your best way is to buy a cheap 4pin fan splitter cable and run the both CPU fans off the CPU fan header,other way is to buy cheap fan controller and run one fan off it and other off CPU fan header

The other mb fan headers are usually 3 pin and won't support pwm,system fan header #1 is usually 4pin but might run too fast
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have 3 pin fans. So a 3 pin fan can be speed controlled when utilizing a 3 pin header, but it's not controllable when it's connected to a 4 pin header? When my 3 pin fan is connected to the 4 pin chassis header it runs max speed even though I have the speed level set at 1. Also, will the AXTU software for the Extreme 7 work with the Fatal1ty? I noticed they are completely different versions in the downloads section.

Comment

it wont speed up and slow down depending on cpu temp,only pwm four pin fans can do that,3 pin ones and 3pin fan headers only support a certain speed/voltage set in the mb bios,not sure about that software but speedfan software might work
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
          it wont speed up and slow down depending on cpu temp,only pwm four pin fans can do that,3 pin ones and 3pin fan headers only support a certain speed/voltage set in the mb bios,not sure about that software but speedfan software might work
          Not sure if we're misunderstanding each other, when I mentioned "controllable" I was referring to controlled via the software; not a physical hardware controller. It makes sense that the 4 pin would be controllable and the 3 pin would not, but I just experimented with all 5 headers and took some notes. Here is what the manual says: "CHA_FAN1/2/3 fan speed can be controlled through UEFI or AXTU". Here is what I found. I noted the # of pins, whether it is adjustable or not, what scales of adjustment through the AXTU software and the min-max range of RPM's.

CPU1
          4 pin
          non-adjustable
          scale 1-10
          1800 RPM constant

CPU2
          3 pin
          adjustable
          scale 1-10
          1150-1800 RPM range

CHA1
          4 pin
          non-adjustable
          scale 1-10
          1800 RPM constant

CHA2
          3 pin
          adjustable
          scale 1-4
          1300-1800 RPM range

CHA3
          3 pin
          adjustable
          scale 1-10
          900-1800 RPM range

Why only one fan header is available with a 1-4 scale via the AXTU software, I don't know. Not to mention the RPM range is different on the available headers with 1-10 scale.

Comment

have you tried the different scales/speed settings? i always thought the 4pin fans regulated the speed themselves depending on temp? and have you tried with speedfan software? that might give you more adjustment for the 3 pin fan headers,not sure on axtu software so cant comment
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Yeah I've tried different settings on the scales. The CHA fan headers are of no use to me since my case has manual adjusters. Although, through AXTU software, CPU fan 1&2 as well as CHA fan 1 have 'target temperature' settings so it looks like CHA1 can be configured to run as a CPU header. Although, CHA1 is non-adjustable so that kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm just curious why CPU1 and CHA1 are non-adjustable when in the software there are sliders to control the levels. It just so happens that these are the 4 pin headers but according to the manual the first 3 pins are the same (GND, +12V, CPU FAN SPEED) and the fourth pin is labeled FAN SPEED CONTROL which I assume would be manual (physical) adjustment.

Comment

yes thats right you can fit the 3pin fans to 4 pin headers,i think you move them to the far right? not sure now,leaving one pin un used
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Wazza, I really appreciate the help. Perhaps I should have posted this in the ASRock discussion and maybe tech support could assist as well?

Comment

yes thats right you can fit the 3pin fans to 4 pin headers,i think you move them to the far right? not sure now,leaving one pin un used
                    Oh I know, I was just implying that it shouldn't make a difference since the 3 pins that are used with the 3 or 4 pin headers since the first three are identical..... as opposed to perhaps CPU FAN SPEED being a different pin with the 4 pin connection.

Comment

its up to you if you want to start a new thread,im not much help really as i dont know that mb too well,just trying to help untill someone who knows more can chime in
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

its up to you if you want to start a new thread,im not much help really as i dont know that mb too well,just trying to help untill someone who knows more can chime in
                        Hope I didn't give the impression I didn't think you were of any help by saying I should take this to another thread. Taking time out to help somebody you don't even know is greatly appreciated. I just should have taken a better look at the sub-forums on this board and noticed that the brand forum have technical support. Thanks wazza!

Comment

Working...
                        X