RAID0 reliability on ASUS P8Z68-V PRO vs ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID0 reliability on ASUS P8Z68-V PRO vs ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

I am stuck on deciding between ASUS P8Z68-V PRO vs ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3.

Fry's does not stock ASRock and Microcenter is OOS on the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3. I would prefer buying the CPU and MB from them rather than NewEgg(ease of replacement).

Four questions:

1. As I will not be buying a separate RAID card, I was wondering how reliabile is the onboard RAID on ASUS P8Z68-V PRO vs ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3?

I am not interested very much in the performance deviations between the two boards, but reliability under RAID 0 is very important.

The HDD I will be using are a pair of the $60 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache (are the Hitachi 1TB better?)

These drives will have 4+ OS and programs and hence, I guess read performance is more critical.

However, I do not want to be busy rebuilding RAID volumes every few months, unless the HDD itself is at fault (I don't want the point of failure to be the onboard controller)

To summarize, my question is: which onboard RAID is more of a toy controller?

2. I don't recollect which, but one of these MBs have a limitation of not being able to use SRT when RAID is being used.

Which one is it?

3. In your experience, is the MTTF of 64GB SSDs comparable to the MTTF of the RAID 0 volume I would have on the chosen MB, or are the SSDs better in reliability?

4. What was that site that shows you the price of your components from various vendors. I am not talking about pricewatch.

Re: RAID0 reliability on ASUS P8Z68-V PRO vs ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

1. They both use the Intel Storage controller chip, so essentially the same "reliability".

You CANNOT rebuild a RAID 0, if it fails that is IT, your data is GONE! There is NO redundancy, failure = loss of ALL data. RAID 0 is purely performance at the expense of redundancy and a 4x failure rate. I would'nt RAID 0 with such large drives IMHO. Consider an SSD for OS and programs/games or RAIDing smaller drives.

2. Both RAID controllers are the same Intel ICH chip, they're both "firmware" RAID controllers, and are not comparable to any half-decent hardware RAID solution, using your CPU to handle the workload (under RAID 5 conditions).

3. SSD would be more reliable than a hard drive in terms of failure due to no moving parts - and there for quite considerable more reliable than a RAID 0 with four mechanical drives.

Once again you CANNOT rebuild a RAID 0, if it fails that is IT, your data is GONE! There is NO redundancy, failure of a single drive = loss of ALL data. RAID 0 is purely performance at the expense of redundancy and a 4x failure rate. I wouldn't RAID 0 with such large drives IMHO. Consider an SSD for OS and programs/games or RAIDing smaller drives.

Comment

Working...
    X