Novice with mobo question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novice with mobo question

Hello all, just signed up and had a question about overclocking. Please keep in mind I have no experience with overclocking, but I have familiar with the concept and have been building my own PCs for several years now (fearful of overclocking). I am only now deciding to dabble with OC because I am on a bit of a budget and have met a good friend that has had great success with it!

So down to the question...I am in the market for a new CPU/MOBO combo...basically best bang for the buck. After doing some extensive research I came to the choice of getting an Intel e5200 paired with a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L BUT after realizing that the EP DS3L does not support PCIe 2.0 I have now chosen to go with the EP43-DS3L. Will I still be able to overclock the e5200 with the motherboard?

RAM - Corsair 4GB PC2-6400 / 800MHz CL5 DDR2 SDRAM (dual ch)
    Video - eVGA 9800gtx+ (recent purchase for new mobo)
    PSU - Corsair vx550w
    Current CPU - Intel PentiumD 2.8Ghz
    Mobo - Intel D945PSN (no PCIe 2.0)

Thanks in advance!

ЯR

Re: Novice with mobo question

You really will not notice any difference between PCIe 1.0 & 2.0 but I'll warn you now that the P43 chipset is a poor overclocker as it's really just a failed P45 (its a binned part that doesn't come up to the standard required for P45's but is still usuable with certain restrictions put in place, lower memory support is just 1 of those).

The P35 chipset is the better overclocker of the 2.

Personally you'd be better of paying the extra few $'s for a P45 based mainboard.

Comment

Re: Novice with mobo question

Thanks for responding, would this motherboard be an acceptable choice? I guess my other concern would be if there will be a noticeable difference between my current CPU (2.8 Pentium D) and the Intel Pentium Dual Core e5200 that I plan on overclocking

Thanks again.

ЯR

Comment

Working...
      X