Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4 restart fails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4 restart fails

I have a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4 with an <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Intel Q6600 CPU <o:p></o:p>
    HDD Seagate 1TB S-ATA <o:p></o:p>
    2x Nvidia GV-NV66256DP Graphics Cards
    2x1GB DDR2 Corsair CM2X 1024-8500C5D memory modules. Running at 2.1 volts<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<o:p></o:p>
    The system works perfectly with no problems, it has been running for several months. <o:p></o:p>
    Except that when I do a restart the POST screen memory check always fails and the system never restarts, it just goes round in a loop. <o:p></o:p>
    If I turn off the mains supply and turn it back on again it passes the memory check and runs perfectly.<o:p></o:p>
    I have now tried three different pairs of memory modules all with the same result.<o:p></o:p>
    I have also changed the power supply.<o:p></o:p>
    Does anyone have any idea what is happening?<o:p></o:p>

Re: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4 restart fails

Are you at all overclocking your Ram in the bios? i would check to see that and if the settings are custom i would check them all over to make sure they are set right.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the reply. It has had this problem from the very first time it was turned on using the default settings. I have tried two different pairs of Crucial memory all sutable for this motherboard and am currently using Corsair memory (Twin2X2048-8500C5D. I have since change the motherboard for another of the same type and the problem is still the same. Could it be because I have two graphics cards? That is the only thing that is perhapse unusual about the setup.

Comment

I dont know if the graphics cards would be the problem, but i would try it with one and then the other to see if either works, then i would try something called clearing the cmos, it resets the bios to the factory settings,
        it is a jumper on your mobo, its three pins in total and should have a jumper on it, turn the machine off and switch it from it current position to the next pin over so instead of it being on 1-2 its on 2-3 then restore power and leave it on for about ten seconds, then turn it off, restore the jumper to pins 1-2 and start up the system

Comment

Interesting, I got the almost the same problem and I have a GIGABYTE GA-EP35 DS3R Rev. A2 Mainboard with Bios Version Award F4a. When I try to reboot or even shutdown the computer it tries to restart but fail before finishing to initialize the bios.
          Only after I turn power off at my PSU it will start and then even without a slight of a problem. Can't say when it have started because I use almost only S3 Standby when I turn off my PC. It my be connect to a bios update I did mid December but I'm reluctant to downgrade to the old bios before I'm not sure.
          I did some testing and removed every part that is not necessary to for a successful bios initialization and I mean really everything.
          All HDD's, USB, Keyboard only the three things were left, PSU obviously, CPU and memory I even removed the graphiccard. Same result, tries to boot, fail, restart, loop.
          I got 6 Kingston HyperX Modules here, I tested them all for the same result.
          When through a lot of bios settings non of them helped.

One funny thing. First you must know after powering off the computer and unplugging the PSU there is still some left over current. My mainboard got some led which show on which power mode it is. Guess what, they lit up for millisecond. :) At least I know it is not the PSU that tries to reboot my comp after doing a restart or soft power off. Either mainboard or cpu is the cause.
          Last edited by »Dragoon«; 02-09-2009, 02:57 PM.

Comment

I had this problem when putting mine to sleep, it would go into sleep fine then when i tried to start just black screen, cant restart or anything, have to unplug then it boots and says overclocking failed, press f1 to enter setup, i enter setup then exit and it boots, so i just dont put it into sleep anymore

Comment

Well I do not overclock and S3 Standby works perfectly for me.
              It works so good sometimes I even go standby while still playing a game.
              C&C3, Crisys, CoDWaW. It's so cool, S3 Standby is one of the best inventions they had in my opinion.

Comment

I had the same problem with this motherboard and identical RAM as yours. From a cold start the machine would not run the memory test, but if I pressed the resest it would go through the test fine and have no problem. Once it was running I could restart with no problem, or shut down and reboot no problem, provided it was within a couple of minutes of the shut down - presumably because some residual charge remained in the MB or the RAM. I flashed the latest BIOS but no help. In the end the situation was fixed by not running the memory dual channel, i.e putting the ram in slots 1 and 2 instead of 1 and 3. There is some apparently some RAM speed lost this way but I couldn't find an alternative. I plan to ask Gigabyte about the when I get around to it.
                I also tried RAM in slots 1 and 4, which was recongised as dual channel but became unstable after a couple of days and reverted to the same problem so I went back to slots 1 and 2.
                Now the system is stable, wakes from sleep or starts up no problem regardless of how long since shut down and power off.
                Hopefully this fix works for you.

Comment

Working...
                X