Turning motherboard on without a power button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning motherboard on without a power button

If you just have your motherboard hooked up to a PSU and no case, how can you turn it on with no power button?

depends on the board and what the BIOS says. Apart from a power switch, there are a few ways to turn on your PC:

- Wake on LAN (turns on when a signal is sent via a network connection)
    - Wake on Ring (turns on when an attached modem detects a ringing phoneline)
    - Wake on Click (turns on when there is a mouse click - usually needs to be a PS/2 mouse)
    - Keyboard turn-on (turns on when a predefined key / password is typed on the keyboard)

There's a few others, but they don't come to mind at the moment. To get most of these working though, you've first gotta turn the box on and set them up in the BIOS, which makes them a little useless some of the time. So if you can hook up a temporary switch and turn it on, set one of these up and then you'll be fine. (assuming you want to keep the system without a switch)

Comment

I have a box and everything for my motherboard, I'm just curious. I was returning a motherboard at Fry's the other day, and the guy hooked it up and tested it out by shorting two of the pins with a pen I think. At least that's what I thought I was seeing... I'm not sure how else he would have turned it on, because the board was just lying out on the counter while he hooked it up.

Comment

Yes you can start it up by just shorting the power switch jumpers as that is really all the power switch does. :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Yeah.. all power switches do is create a connection between those two pins. That's how some people use two power supplies in their computers. They have to put a link between two pins on the second PSU, as it can't connect to the MB and turn on.

Comment

Go the screwdriver trick :bounce:

Great for benchtesting mobos :thumb:
            What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus
              Go the screwdriver trick :bounce:

Great for benchtesting mobos :thumb:
              Literally, testing them on a bench.. :laugh:

Comment

use screwdriver to short the power pin on your board

Comment