No announcement yet.

Help Needed - Gigabyte 7VRXP ... Please ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed - Gigabyte 7VRXP ... Please ....

Hello all,

I'm really stressed and sad ....

I just completed an update of my PC, I spent a lot of money and here's what I bought ...

Gigabyte Motherboard GA-7VRXP that I updated up to Bios Version F6
    Athlon XP Processor 2000+
    Asus GeForce 4 Ti4600 Asus Model Number 8460 Ultra
    1*512 333 MHz DDR Corsair CAS2 Memory
    Hard Disk Maxtor ATA 133 80GB

I have set up my motherboard correctly ... FSB 133 multiplier 12.5x ... the processor is recognised correctly ...
    Memory set to CAS2 333MHz.

I installed the latest Via drivers 4.39v Beta ... the latest Asus drivers for the GeForce 4 .... the latest bios for the motherboard ....

Using XP Pro ...

Here's what I have got .... sometimes when I boot up the system doesn't reach the login screen and just gets stuck ... some other times while starting up the image freezes with black screen and strange vertical green lines, some other times ... the screen gets this fuzzy while already in windows ... all graphics gets somehow cut in vertical lines and everything I move ... mouse, windows ... leaves its trace on the screen ...

Other times ... the computer, already in windows while everything is running ... just stops ... no response, no CTRL + ALT + CANC possibility ... no response to everything ....

The monitor just freezes displaying its last image ....

NOW ... I'm just wondering .... what could it be ???

The Geforce ? The motherboard ? The memory ?

I want to say that no component in my computer has been overclocked ..... even if I'm using an Alpha 8045 heatsink with Delta fan at 68 CFM..... =)

But apart from this ... I'm desperate ..... I really wonder what is the issue ....

If you can help..... please ... give me some tips ... maybe you already experiences this type of problems....

Thanks a lot ...

Andrea

Try just setting your memory speed to that of the cpu and see if that helps instead of running the memory faster. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I'm pretty bummed too. I have spent alot of time on this mobo. Give it up while you can. I'm not waiting for a bios update to straighten these problems out. I am luckier than some though. I loaded up Win98 set at 133 with fast memory settings in the bios. Windows environment works fine and dandy. I can overclock my XP1800 past 1600MHz yet I can't play a damn game or run a benchmark without setting the AGP to 1x. I wasn't doing these at the same time btw. These are examples which lead to the A G P problems-THAT DO NOT FUNCTION AS WRITTEN GIGABYTE!
      Getting back to setting the AGP to 1x. How can I phrase this.....hmmmm. Lets just say my old KT133a chipset mobo, K7T Turbo LE w/4X AGP, walks ALL OVER this 7VRXP. I just got a 6000 in 3DMark 2001 for crying out loud! My OLD board would break 7000 with less memory and the same GF3ti200 and everything else.
      Tom's Hardware Guide rated this mobo the fricken King of the 333 mobos. VIAHardware said "To date, this is by far the best Gigabyte board to be released to the public. Its large list of excellent features and great price, along with some very impressive performance should attract even the most knowledgeable user. Congratulations on a job well done to a company that often seems to get less credit than they deserve."

People READ these ya know.....Then we get suckered. Before I forget, running at 100 sucks ass too.

neopolaris

:flames:

7VRXP F6 bios rev 1.1
      XP1800
      2 sticks of 256MB PC2700 (true) Samsung memory
      80GB 7200rpm IBM on IDE1 as Master
      250 internal on IDE1 as Slave
      Pioneer DVD 500-M on IDE2 as Master
      HP 9300 CD Writer on IDE2 as Slave
      30GB 7200rpm WD on IDE 3 as Master (ATA set in bios)
      Gainward (ti450) 64MB GeForce3 ti200 with 28.32 drivers (not sharing IRQ
      11)
      Firewire card
      300w PS

Win98, all updates, newest 4-1, newest Nvidia............BS

p.s. I'm sure glad I went DDR. Oh yippie

Comment

neopolaris, has Gigabyte really stated that AGP bus has problems ???

I bought this board following directions from Tom's Hardware.
        And many others are doing so.

I want to be extremely clear and straightforward, I can RMA this board as soon as Monday, no problem at all.

But I just trust people that review motherboards and build them, can they fix this ?

If it's a yes, ok, then I'll wait.

If it's not, I'll RMA it and choose Abit or again Asus even if I had problems with Asus too (AV7333 RMA two weeks ago).

It's fairness and politeness to be proven now; we have a problem, they should help us out.

I have already written to Tom's Hardware and Gigabyte about this, I'm waiting their replies. I think many of us that will be stuck by this board will get angry at Tom's Hardware too, that's why I have informed them too.

So they can contact Gigabyte and possibly help them find a solution, updating their review would seem a right thing to do anyway.

I'm posting about this problem in many forums, and everywhere there are people complaining about this.

Actually I have also an issue with my Peerless Drive from Iomega, Firewire port, always worked on my old Asus K7M and Sound Blaster Audigy with Firewire port, now the same sound card, same drive, updated drivers and it doesn't work anymore.

=(

If any of you has clues or hints please shoot.

As of now I can keep my board at maximum features but for AGP bus that has to be 1X .... if I try to raise it to 2X or 4X it's big problems as above.

Gigabyte, please help us, save your name.

Comment

They (Gigabyte) haven't acknowleged anything. But a lot of users have. I believe there are probably a lot of 7VRXPs out there running great. I like many things about the board I received except for the inability to play games faster than my KT133a mobo.
          This was my first Gigabyte product but I'm going back to MSI. The KT3 which I originally wanted (gut instinct) was dubbed as s l o w by a review at Tom's Hardware Guide-so I didn't buy it. I also read where the MSI KT3's RAID could not be used as extra IDE channels for extra HD's. This is NOT true after all. I went back to the MSI forums and newsgroups last night. I no longer believe the KT3 is a poor mobo and I'm gonna get one. Good luck with your purchase. Do not read the reviews, use your gut, and consider a solid 266a based mobo perhaps.

neopolaris

ps as far as the Peerless Iomega goes. You need to give those 8 yr old Malayasian boys more credit. They build a fine product.:flames:

Comment

I just finished building a pc using this board and there were no probs with it what so ever but if you have "Top Performance" enabled in BIOS under "Chipset Features" then this maybe your problem. :smokin:

Comment

This board is a *****, I have had so much trouble getting it to work. Every forum I go to I see problems relating to this particular board. It obviously had faults. I to bought it due to reviews I read on the net, wish I hadnt now.

Comment

I can't fathom it myself as I just built the new family beast with that same motherboard and it's been runnin' continuous benchmark and test loops now for 27hrs without a prob. :confused:

Comment

Hi Wiggo,

Can you post all of your componants?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                    bhoth[/size]]
                    Hi Wiggo,

Can you post all of your componants?

Thanks,
                    Just click on the No.2 PC link in my sig will give you all the specs. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                      This board is a *****, I have had so much trouble getting it to work. Every forum I go to I see problems relating to this particular board. It obviously had faults. I to bought it due to reviews I read on the net, wish I hadnt now.

:rolleyes:

I have built a few systems with this board and they have all worked perfectly...

No trouble what so ever..

And I also know a lot of people in the industry that use this board and they have not had a problem with it...

I actually find the board to be one of the quickest I have used...

Maybe it is the builder of the system that is at fault and not the product :p
                      Quick!!….Pack your bags!!…

The Elephants are coming!!…

Comment

Yes I'm at a loss too with what ppl are doin' with this board as other than setting the time/date and disabling the onboard RAID controller there was nothing else to do (even though I checked everything to be sure) in the BIOS.
                        The only prob I had was being fast enough at the right plase to hit the Delete key to enter BIOS the 1st time (which took me 3 goes to get into as it's the fast).
                        I particularly picked this board for its features and because ppl were havin' probs with it (easy enough for me to change the board if necessary) and I don't know what goin' on. :smokin:

Comment

I have a gigabyte ga-7zxe and iv found that the via drivers are a *****.. The last ones I installed with xp where the 2.78s and they slowed boot up to a stand still then the sound went crackly so no more via drivers for me..I dont know about the boards u guys have but mine seems fine..Also 23.11 drivers seem to be the most beneficial

Also look for a program called CTSPD it tests ur current memory and tells u what latency u can run it at..2 or 3 it access's a small 8 bit rom on the side of ur ram(me thinks)

heres the url for that ctspd .. http://www.gamingin3d.com/articles/ram/index1.html

Comment

I use Memtest86 for that purpose myself as well as diagnostics and I wound up in that 3 times before timin' it right to get into BIOS (I always have the Memtest floppy in first to test the memory and caches for errors before fdisk'n the HDD) and it ran with no probs at all before I found that the BIOS had selected fairly aggressive timings. I'll let ya's know in a week how it goes when I start crankin' this thing up. :smokin:

Comment

I find this Motherboard to be less user friendly than my Previous Abit KT7-RIAD. One thing I really become to hate is the manual.

Example:

S.M.A.R.T. for Hard Disks
                              >> Enabled ---Enable HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability
                              >> Disabled ---Disable HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capabilty

:shoot3: :hammer: :

I know what Enable and Disable means!! But I don't have a clue what SMART does. Very irritating manual!!

Also I can't figure out if it's possible to connect a CD-Rom player at IDE 3 and 4.

I've just bought this mb last week, and it's isn't up and running yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X