System Hang, Please Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Hang, Please Help!!

I've spent a good amount of time on this and have seemed to hit a wall. Here's the situation:

Last week my sister was using the computer and windows crashed (said there was a stop error but didn't write down what that error was, of course). Now upon startup the system freezes at the motherboard screen. I tried replacing the video card, using each ram module one by one and replacing the motherboard (I suspected BIOS problems).

Replacing the mobo actually did help because now I can access the setup menu (it still freezes during normal start-up). About every third time I do this, I see the error message "during the last boot-up your system hung for an improper CPU speed setting. Your system is now working in safe mode. To optimize the system performance and reliability, make sure the CPU speed conforms to the specifications of your CPU" I have an Athlox XP 2400+ and I've tried running it at 2000 and 1500 mhz, but same problem.

Could my CPU be busted? What about my memory, though both modules would have to be corrupted. I also read about the same problem in another thread and the power supply turned out to be the culprit. However I don't have the same problems in the hardware monitor screen as he did.

What can I do? Thanks for the help!!

System Specs:

Asus - A7V8X-X motherboard
    Athlon XP 2400+
    768 MB RAM on two modules
    Geforce 6200 128 MB
    Maxtor 80 GB

Re: System Hang, Please Help!!

Silly question maybe, but have you simply tried resetting the BIOS by means of the mainboard jumper? Seems that would be a good place to start.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I looked in the manual and apparently I don't have a reset BIOS jumper. I did reset the CMOS and that didn't do anything, except I got to put the date back in.

Comment

well, the weirdest thing happened. I was looking for my windows xp cd to install windows on a second system and I thought it was in my comp w/ the problems. I had unplugged the power for the drives b/c this would have alleviated any power issues. I plugged the drives in, and low and behold it made it past the mobo screen and tried to boot. I tossed a hard drive in and it made it to windows. I'm about to run a virus scan on the suspected hard drive in slave.

This is so weird, I can't think of a good reason why this happened, can you offer up any explanations?

Comment

no.

:) my computers do that sort of stuff all the time and i cant decide whether its me or the components that are being crap

Comment

Working...
          X