• Show
Clear All

• ASRock 939 Dual SATA2 - lockups/hanging

hi,
    i jus built this system :-
    athlon 64 3200+ (939)
    ASrock 939 Dual SATA2
    512x2 Mushkin 991093 DDR400 Ram
    Western Digital 80gb SATA1 Drive (the drive which boots windows)
    Seagate Barracuda 40gb 7200 rpm IDE Drive. (secondary IDE, no primary IDE)
    Raedon 9800 pro 128.
    Audigy 2 ZS.
    For some reason my motherboard wont run my two ram sticks at their DDR400 speed and will always run them at DDR333 even when i try them one at a time. The first time i started up the board had no probs till i installed XP SP2, the system wud not boot into windows after installing it. So i updated BIOS to 1.80 the newest one and got it working. Then the system wud keep rebooting randomly, whether i leave it idle or play games/surf. SO i uninstalled SATA1 Drivers and now it wont reboot randomly it jus keeps locking/hanging up, in games/surfing/idle. I tried both my memory sticks one at a time...same thing. I also tried a spare memory i had. 256mb Kingston DDR400 value ram....same thing. What could be the problem. I've noticed when i try to play CS source there are random 1/2-1 sec freezes. Could it be my memory? or ram slots on mobo or somehting to do with the SATA controller or the SATA drive itself?

Re: ASRock 939 Dual SATA2 - lockups/hanging

try a diffrent graphic card that might help ok

Comment

Which slots do you have the memory modules in?

Comment

Threads merged. Please do not post the same message multiple times. This makes it more difficult to be of help since the posters may not know what you have already tried to rectify the problem.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

i've put only one memory stick of 512. And i've tried it in slot 1,2 & 3. The only other graphic card i have is my age old geforce3 ti200....lol.

Comment

i think i can help. mine did the same thing until i disabled a thing in the bios called something like memory tolerance or compatability - you should know what i mean when you look in the ram settings in the bios.

Comment

k i'll disable it...testing...

Comment

nop still hanging up

Comment

I suspect it to be either of the three things or a combination of them :-
                  1. My Memory or the memory slots(most likely). Because even when i run only 1 stick of ddr 400 it never recognizes it as ddr400, always as ddr333. I've also tried my spare ram stick of a different make(kingston), that too it recognizes as ddr333 instead of ddr400.

2.My SATA hard drive or the onboard SATA controller. I first installed XP on the sata drive and used my IDE drive as a secondary drive. Now i'm using my IDE as the primary drive with XP and SATA as a secondary storage drive. I found that the comp locked up more when using the SATA as main. Another thing i forgot to mention was that before this lockup problem started, my comp wudnt lock up but wud automatically reboot, in the middle of anything....idle,surfing,gaming etc. So i uninstalled the sata drivers and since then the comp hangs but doesnt reboot automatically.

3.Video Card or Video card slot. I dunno if a bad vid card or a slot could cause lockups but its certainly a possibility...right? I have an old geforce 3 ti200 that i will try soon.

One thing that bugs me though is that if it is either my the vid card/slot or the SATA drive/controller why is my memory still not running at full speed...

Comment

What power supply are you using?

Comment

i'm using a Thermaltake Purepower TT-420 AD (420 Watt) PSU

Comment

sutupid question, but have you tried memtest86?

Comment

no thats not a stupid question. I havent been able to use memtest cos my floppy drive aint connected...cos this stupid mobo has the floppy connecter under the last pci slot and that pci slot has my audigy 2. But i guess i'll remove it and give it a try.

Comment

Is there a reason why you can't load memtest (use86+ ... not 86) on a CD and run it?
                            Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

hmm never thought of that....but i'd have to load memtest only right? and nothing else. In other words the CD will only have about 1mb of data?

Comment

Working...
                              X