the bestest, cheapest, S939 board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the bestest, cheapest, S939 board?

im now looking for a board for my bro, it needs to be a good overclocker, and its either getting an opteron 144/146 or an athlon 64 3200/3400. it needs to have PCI-E and S-ATA, yet have ide ports. not interested in sli. am interested in getting any of the above cpus to around 2.6ghz, probably the slower of the two families. it needs to be stable. around £80, may push the boat out, though.
    oh, yeah, it needs to be UK. preferably 20-pin atx, but then again, he may get a new psu. cant think of any other requirements at the moment.....

please can i have peoples opinions?

Re: the bestest, cheapest, S939 board?

Almost all new PCI-E socket 939 motherboards have 24-pin PSU connectors. The only one I know of is the ASRock 939Dual.

I'd suggest you just stick with the tried and true DFI LANParty NF4. You'll probably want an Ultra-Infinity for cost purposes. If not, get an Ultra-D.

Comment

So true. A DFI Lanparty Ultra-D and an Opteron 144 would make for very nice combo for some overclocking goodness. Uprading the PSU is necessary and would truely help with overall stability.
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Fook that, if you're on a budget and don't need SLI but want Sata & PCIeX.......go with a Soltek K890-Pro as it may only be a Via chipset but out clocks the spendy boards on air, while most DFI boards do less on Water. It has on board 7.1 surround & 1Gb ethernet and a 3000+ OC's stable to 2.5gb on air. DFI will get you no further before the jump to AM2 boards hit the market anyway, and they are only major tweaker friendly.
        Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Comment

Well, if you can only get a 3000+ to 2.5GB on air, you are not trying nearly hard enough. I know of 2 people getting 2.7GHz+ stable on air and 2.8GHz+ stable on water. No other motherboard out will run an overclock as stable as the DFI. Even 2.6Ghz should/would be a walk in the park. Using good ram and a good power supply when overclocking is a must and the components that are almost always overlooked.

As for outclocking the DFI on water, I would love to see some actual facts/results. That is next to impossible for me to believe. I can easily run my 3700+ San Diego @ 2.92GHz on water on my DFI board and it would not run over 2.85GHz on any MSI/ASUS board I tried before it.

If you need a great budget board, the DFI Ultra Infinity is definitely a must get. I really don't think the new AMD socket is going to be worth the money when first released as it has not shown and leap in speed. Socket 939 will be viable for at least the next 2-3 years and will only get cheaper and cheaper. My money stays on the 939 for some time to come.
          Last edited by casecutter; 03-02-2006, 08:43 AM.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate

Comment

I know but he said he was on a budget!
            And what casecutter said^^^ right was just drinkin when i posted:)
            Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Comment

thx all. ive looked up the infinity; it doesnt look special, but it is cheap enough.... my main gripe is the 24 pin atx, but me bro can jolly well fork out for a new PSU if he wants DFI goodness.

Comment

hang on, i was looking at the one with the non-lanparty tag. anything decent with a lanparty tag is simply too expensive. are there any good other brands, such as asus or gigabyte that do decent cheap nforce4 boards?

Comment

The non lanparty board is very good as well, just missing some of the usually unneeded options of it's big brother. If you want to overclock, don't get any other board than a DFI of maybe a MSI. ASUS boards are 50/50 when it comes to overclocking and the rest just don't usually cut it. As for the 24 pin AXT, all modern boards now have it soe he is gonna need to upgrade to that spec anyways.

For a budget and still a great overclocker, DFI Infinity : http://www.ninjalane.com/display.asp...inity-nf4ultra

The "best" S939 board for OCing : DFI Lanprty UT nF4 ULTRA-D

Only other decent overclocking choice: MSI K8N NEO4-F (not the most stable, but it will overclock relatively well)
                  GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                  AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                  PC P&C 500W PSU
                  2TB Seagate

Comment

ok thx ver much :)

Comment

Epox 9NPA+ Ultra? They have some lower end boards that fit those specs and they're all cheaper than DFI.

Comment

update! found some lanparty ultra Ds cheap in pc world, bought 2! mint!!!!!!!!!!!!! now need good powersupply..... pooey.

Comment

i also recomend Newegg, they have great mthrboard sales all the time

Comment

i recomend newegg for motherboard deals, they r always having sales.

Comment

Working...
                            X