Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuilt older computer, very strange boot-up problem, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilt older computer, very strange boot-up problem, help!

Hello!

I just purchased a new computer for my girlfriend, and having built 2 or 3 computers on my own, I decided to put it in her old case like she wanted and move over the good components.

However, once I moved it over, all seemed OK. This motherboard came from a HP pre-built computer, and the only thing different about it is it uses her HD now, would that cause some problems?

Whenever I boot up, POST checks out OK, and then when it blacks out for a second, right before you usually see the windows XP loading screen, I see a bluescreen error pop up for about 1 second, then the computer reboots back to bios and repeats.

The ram is different in there now as well, but other than that it should pretty much be the same.

Thanks!

Edit: The motherboard is a ASUS A7N8X-LA.

Re: Rebuilt older computer, very strange boot-up problem, help!

run memtest86on it; download it via google.

Comment

Sounds like drivers issues with the chipset. You will most likely need to do a fresh install of Windows XP. Start out by doing a repair install and see if that works. If so, you can save yourself some trouble of backing everything up first.
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by o0Brandnewcolony
        However, once I moved it over, all seemed OK. This motherboard came from a HP pre-built computer, and the only thing different about it is it uses her HD now, would that cause some problems?
        Edit: The motherboard is a ASUS A7N8X-LA.
        If you havn't done a fresh reinstall of XP with the new mainboard then that is the kind of behaviour anyone would expect (XP is trying to talk to a different mainboard to what is was originally setup to talk to).

Comment

Working...
        X