Questions regarding SLI Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions regarding SLI Motherboard

I am planing to buy a new one (since my asus is officially dead), but this time i am planing on buying an SLI motherboard http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...985&CatId=1569
    so i have some questions regarding this:

1) will I be able to (this will probably sound a an stupid question) run it with only one video card (i plan to buy another geforce 7800gt later)?

2) In an SLI build, can i use 2 different video cards with no issues or will one slow the other or does their processing power adds up?

3) Is an athlon 64 3800+ going to bottleneck the performance of 2 geforce 7800gt (hell, can it even handle one)?

4) Is this board all right, or do you know of a better one (that you can find in tigerdirect.com {NOT ASUS})?
    Last edited by computernewbie; 01-31-2006, 10:41 AM.

Re: Questions regarding SLI Motherboard

Answer 1: Yes
    Answer 2: Yes. Get two cards that have the same specs then they will run at the same speed. The new drivers will force a faster card to run at the slower card's speed.
    Answer 3: Yes it will bottleneck them. You need extreme cooling on the CPU and 3.0GHz + to run SLI without bottlenecks.
    Answer 4: I would not get that board, I am not a fan of low end ASUS boards. I strongly recommend the DFI ULTRA-D SLI board, especially for overclocking. If you are not a hardcore overclocker, the ASUS A8N PREMIUM SLI is a very nice stable board and it can overclock fairly well too.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

The ASUS SLI boards are okay, but DFI is definitely better. The SLI-Infinity isn't bad if you want something cheaper, otherwise go with the SLI-DR (not the Ultra-D SLI, there's no such thing, unless of course you mod an Ultra-D to be and SLI-DR and call it that for fun). As I just mentioned in a long bit of parenthetical information, you should still be able to mod a DFI nF4 Ultra-D to be an SLI board. The Ultra and SLI are identical chipsets except for the price.

Why are you restricting yourself to TigerDirect? Newegg is the best online retailer for hardware by far.

Comment

I think ill go with your suggestion yawgmoth, although i am still in the process of making a test buy to tigerdirect.com but the items has not shipped yet, apparently i have to call them to confirm the order wich is extremely annoying.

Comment

My board is not a DR it is a UT nF4 SLI-D. The DR has extra SATA ports which to me are useless especially for the money. I highly recommend it.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
            My board is not a DR it is a UT nF4 SLI-D. The DR has extra SATA ports which to me are useless especially for the money. I highly recommend it.
            I'd have to agree that the SATA ports are probably useless for most people. I didn't realize there was a difference between the DR and D SLI boards. Both are pretty expensive though, and I'd probably take the Ultra-D and mod it if I were going to do SLI. I haven't looked at updated stuff, but last time I checked it looked like it was basically perfect.

Comment

So true, it is a very simple mod that can be done by anyone with a penknife and a conductive pen. Scrape a touch of epoxy off the contacts and draw a trace. Getting a SLI bridge is also easy enough and cheap. The only reason I went with the actual SLI board is I got a great deal on it and actually paid less for it new that the Ultra-d. As for the extra sata ports, you can still only run 4 sata drives in raid even when you get 8 on the DR so I just don't understand who would want 8 SATA drives running.
              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
              PC P&C 500W PSU
              2TB Seagate

Comment

I have not heard much on modding the Ultra's lately, can you use newer drivers? Or do you still have to use the 66.?? ones?

Comment

Newest drivers work fine, I know of someone who just bought and modded one about 2 weeks ago. Worked perfectly. Check on the DFI forum for a link to an official DFI SLI bridge for cheap moneytoo, under $20US shipped.
                  GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                  AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                  PC P&C 500W PSU
                  2TB Seagate

Comment

Working...
                  X