Mother board compatability with older cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother board compatability with older cases

I have been told that the latest motherboards require a different case due to the power connections on the motherboards, I have an antex 450 watt case. I feel the guy is trying to con me into buying a new case. Has anyone heard anything about such a thing?

Re: Mother board compatability with older cases

It depends on what m/board you intend to use, older boards required a 20 pin psu plug connection, newer boards require 24 pin, I assume your Antec psu is the 20 pin version and you wish to use a 24 pin m/board .... no need for a new case, just get a new psu with 24 pin capabilities.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

The case will probably work just fine ... whatever model it really is. I'm guessing that the "Antex 450 watt" is a reference to your power supply .... not the actual case. HOWEVER .... odds are good that your new motherboard will require a 24 pin connection that will require you to buy a new power supply unit (PSU) if you want a truely stable system. In addition to that issue there is the fact the 450 watt is just not enough power for a lot of modern systems. ....Bottom line: the case will probably work but the power supply will likely need to be replaced if you are building a modern power hungry system.

Edit .... I gotta learn to type faster ...
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by PrairieDawg
        .........Edit .... I gotta learn to type faster ...
        lmao, and I only use two fingers to type too.

Oh well, the advice was the same and good mate ;)
        E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Working...
        X