Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB mass storage device problems

Hey all,
    I'm having a major problem with my USB ports on my system. I've scoured the net for hours, and spent weeks trying different long shot fixes with no results. I finally decided that i needed some real help, and i had best post here to get it. You guys always seem to have time for problems other than your own, and we all appreciate it.

Ok, heres the relevant system specs:
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394
    affected USB devices: Iomega 250GB usb/firewire external desktop HD, 4th gen ipod

Problem:
    about 50% of the time the HD runs fine, and before i had this MOBO it ran fine all the time. Ever since my switch however, on occasion the "eject USB" dialogue box comes up and says that the HD has been removed without safely being ejected, and then it is suddenly back in the list as plugged in. The 4th gen ipod is affected in this same way. Other times windows explorer will just stop responding when trying to access the HD. If i try to eject the drive myself, i get a BSOD system crash with the message "BAD_POOL_CALLER beginning dump of physical memory".

Any ideas anyone has about this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for your time.

Re: USB mass storage device problems

Some motherboards have issues with USB ports and removable storage. I know this doesn't help your problem, but when I get the occassional one that acts up, I've never had any problems with losing data, just connectivity issues. I never received a BSOD, though, so you might want to do a quick search of the Microsoft Knowledge Base and do a verbatim quote of the error message. It can sometimes give answers to the problem that we don't know about. You might also try using different USB ports and see if it helps the issue.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Working...
    X