Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, I'd Like Your Advice! New Mobo.

G'Day,

I recently fryed my mobo (ASUS) and went looking to replace it, Fwew, have I been out of the loop or what! Iv'e been learning about mobo, CPU's and the like for days.

I have narrowed it down...somewhat...I think...here goes.

I am not a gamer just use the PC for office stuff mostly, but want latest techno and would like to use older HD's for a while. Thought this combo might work, let me know if there are issues or incompatabilites, etc.

• ABIT KU8 ULi Socket 754 ATX Motherboard <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    • AMD Sempron 64 3400+ 2.0GHz Processor <o:p></o:p>
    • Masscool / Socket 754, 939, 940 / AMD Athlon 64 /Ball Bearing /CPU Cooling Fan<o:p></o:p>
    • Viking 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory
    • XFX GeForce MX 4000
    PCJr.

PS. Love this forum, learned alot right here.
    Last edited by peeceejr; 10-17-2005, 02:28 PM.

Re: Ok, I'd Like Your Advice! New Mobo.

Drop the heatsink/fan and the video card. Get a motherboard with onboard video. Get a retail prcoesor, which which will come with a heatsink.

Comment

Get a retail processor, ok, thanks for the help.

Comment

If you're budget allows, you should go more towards the athlon 64 3000+ with a nice motherboard like an Asus kn8 ultra or something. For the low price of that cpu, you can get it up to 2.7 Ghz. That's more than an FX-55. As for the video card Nvidia has the turbo cache that is ok and for any extremely low price. It's also pci express so things will be a little quicker. Even though you do not play games, you might like the extra speed of the athlon 64.
        Last edited by jeffs789; 10-18-2005, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jeffs for the input, very much appreciated and I will look at them right now.

Comment

Ok, I have taken your advice and re-evaled and studied and I think I have found a good combo. Retail processor, mobo that will accept older and newer techno, and what I believe is quality RAM.

What do you think? My first PC hardware purchase on the net and I guess my biggest fear is that something isn’t compatible and I’ll get screwed.

So let me have it, good news or bad? or

Intel® Pentium® 4 2.6Ghz / 512k Cache / 800Mhz FSB / Socket 478 / HyperThreading / Processor with Fan

Abit IS-10 Intel Socket 478 Motherboard / Video / Audio / 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA

Corsair Value Select Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory (2 x 512MB)

Comment

Does one need to ask why suddenly you started to go backwards?

Comment

I asked for advice. Advice Received.

Re-evaluated and considering the following:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor - Retail.

ASUS A8V Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro ATX AMD Motherboard

CORSAIR 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel System Memory

MSI MX4000-T64 Geforce MX4000 64MB DDR AGP 2X/4X Video Card

If you must ask, I am like a roller-coaster, up one minute, down the next, screaming all the way!

I asked for advice, I knew I was in the right place, just afraid to make that purchase thru the net and finding that I messed something up and then finding out I can't understand what the customer service person is saying.

My thinking has come to this...939 is a good socket, protects for an upgrade. The mobo has 4 DIMM slots so I can throw in more RAM. Corsair is top shelf (as far as I read). The video card is good enough to handle some pics and a little video capture, if I get brave and fall into a bucket of money.

Thanks Yawg and Wayout, am I getting warmer?

Comment

Good except for that video card, they are junk. Even an ATI 9200 is better. And better yet, ATI 9800PRO 128MB cards are getting cheap. Onboard video is better than that MX4000. I also humbly suggest an NF3 based board like the A8N by ASUS or the K8N NEO2 by MSI.
                  Last edited by casecutter; 10-20-2005, 10:00 PM.
                  GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                  AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                  Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                  Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                  Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                  PC P&C 500W PSU
                  2TB Seagate
                  Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by peeceejr
                    My thinking has come to this...939 is a good socket, protects for an upgrade. The mobo has 4 DIMM slots so I can throw in more RAM. Corsair is top shelf (as far as I read). The video card is good enough to handle some pics and a little video capture, if I get brave and fall into a bucket of money.
                    Socket 939 is good, but if you really want to future-proof, PCI-E wouldn't be a bad idea, though it's not necessary, expecially since you're not a gamer.

You wont ever fill those 4 DIMM slots, but then most motherboards will have four anyway.

Pictures and video capture have absolutely nothing to do with the video card (unless you have a AIW video card or something, but that's totally irrelevent...), so just get onboard unless you already own that MX4000.

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
                      Onboard video is better than that MX4000..
                      I would have to disagree with you on that, most of the A64(s939 or otherwise) boards I have worked with have had rather bullsh!t excuses for onboard video and my friend who reciently bought a A64 system got one with Onboard video and was so dissapinted he went and bought an MX4000 off another friend for 10 bucks and it proformed 3000pts better in 3DMark 01 than his onboard did. I'll get you the scores next time im over there if you want proof. And they arent bad Overclockers either, not unlike my old MX440.

Comment

You're both right. Some onboard is better, and some isn't. The majority of socket 939 onboard will be. Onboard Radeon XPress 200 and GeForce 6100 will both be better. The S3 graphics on VIA-based boards will not be.

However, it's all irrelevent as he isn't doing anything that will stress any onboard video.

Comment

Hey...I want to thank everyone who gave me advice and helped in my decision. It helped a lot. I pulled the trigger and the stuff is coming thru Newegg. I heard good stuff about them; I was shopping Tiger, but went with the egg.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I'd be happy to tell you about the build and the results, but it seems you people are way out of my league. Over clocking, scores, etc. Anything I'd have to say would be boring. But I do like to read about the stuff posted.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Keep up the good work and again thanks.

WJDJ

Comment

Working...
                          X