Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damn pre bilds, Damn them all to hell,,, help plz.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn pre bilds, Damn them all to hell,,, help plz.

Hello, I have a Gateway 700XL shipped in Aug 2002, with Intel Pentium 4 Processor (2.4 GHZ) and motherboard, identified by Gway as "Intel Lexington II" series, which could be Gway's number or one that carried over from Intel.

Here is the question: I would like to upgrade this motherboard, keeping the CPU, and ram (1g rdram) the Goal is to get to something that would have an 8x AGP slot (this has 4x that essentially "renders" me obsolete in multi world. How can I find one?!
    Thanks in advance,

Oz

[email protected]

Re: Damn pre bilds, Damn them all to hell,,, help plz.

You can certainly get a board that supports your type of cpu. What socket is the P4 2.4? Socket 478. You could do that...or you could just get a new board/cpu/ram. RDRAM was good for it's time, but now it doesn't match up to DDR3200. Instead of AGP you should go with a PCI-Express board too. For now it's not (much) faster but it soon will be a lot more effecient.

Spending the money to hang on to that CPU simply isn't wise for your purpose. You might as well save up and get all new stuff.

Comment

i thought maybe it was worth saving,,2.4+gig o ram,,(cant find an 8x rdram 478 mobo anyway)

Comment

If it uses RDRAM it's simply not worth replacing the board. Save up and replace everything, or sell it all and replace now.

Comment

So other than you owning a POS what is your DC prob?

Comment

Could catch. I rarely pay attention to that. Fixed.

Comment

Working...
            X