motherboard change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motherboard change

I need to change motherboards as my ms-6577 poofed when I shortcircuited the case fan pins (don't ask how). Anyway, if I switch to an intel or asus motherboard with the same cpu (2.66gig), will win xp still booth ok or will I have problems. Created my recovery cd's per the instructions way back. Will be using the same harddrive and all other hardware that I can.

Also, any ideas how to unpoof the board. Like what is that little chip or capacitor that crispy crittered about 1/2 inch from the case fan pins.

Re: motherboard change

There are literally hundreds of little chips, capacitors, resistors, MOSFET... well you get the idea. Without a picture of the affected area it would be impossible to just say what it is.

With regards to using the same install of Windows, that is iffy at best unless the chipset is the same as the original motherboard and then it still isn't a guarantee that it will work. That is why motherboard drivers are so important as they tell Windows how to properly communicate with the board and its system components. Anytime you change a motherboard it is always best to reinstall Windows fresh.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Working...
    X