KV8 PRO upgrade - cannot run POST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KV8 PRO upgrade - cannot run POST

Sorry but I am a novice in upgrading motherboards.
    I installed a KV8 PRO and a AMD Athlon 64 processor 2800+ Socket 754 and some memory (512MB, 333). I intalled a GeForce MX 4000 graphic card in the AGP slot, cleared CMOS, took battery out (meaning I run all the troubleshooting the manual is suggesting - but still no success. The POST goes as far as 9.F. and everything switches off. Screen remains completely black. Can anyone help?

Re: KV8 PRO upgrade - cannot run POST

What core is the processor using? It is very possible that the stock BIOS on your board is not able to handle a newer core process. You might want to check out this concept and see if you need to Flash the BIOS.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Sorry to be so stupid, but what is core of processor and how do I check it? How to I flash BIOS? Tx

Comment

Just an idea but does that board support RAM under DDR400? Abit's compatibility sheet for that board doesn't show anything under 400: http://www.abit.com.tw/test_report/KV8_Pro/index.php .
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I am certain that I checked this and there were 3 RAM options. The two I remember are 333 and 400 and I went for 333. I am trying to find the reference but can't. I keep searching and let you know. Thanks for your concern.

Well, here is the info:
          http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/uk/moth...0Pro-3rd%20Eye

CPU Integrated Memory Controller
          • 72-bit memory controller supports DDR at 266, 333 and 400MHz
          • Support 2 DIMM DDR 400
          • Support 2 DIMM up to 2GB Max.
          333 - or did I misinterpret this? Tx
          Last edited by gmk; 06-30-2005, 02:10 PM. Reason: found info on RAM

Comment

Yup ...you are correct. According to that page you should be golden so far as RAM goes.
            Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I am waiting for Abit to reply to my technical enquiry - hope they get in touch soon and come up with some solution. I was also wondering whether my power supply causes a problem, maybe I need a new PSU, although everything worked fine before I upgraded the mother board. The other thing I am not sure about is the Front Panel Switches & Indicators Headers. At the moment I only have the ATX power switch connect (main power button). No hard drives or floppy disk or any other card, apart from graphic card, connected at this stage as well. Am I doing anything wrong, maybe something silly?

Comment

Well, the solution was very simple. I needed to change the PSU because my old PSU didn't have a 4Pin 12 ATX12V1 connector. The manual Abit is supplying is not at all clear on that. The POST code F.9. refers to this but unfortunately this code is not listed in the manual and also not at the Abit site. Well, I managed to boot and I am now in the AwardBios CMOS Setup Utility.
                The rest should be easy - I hope so. Thanks for participating.
                P.S. one reason why I chose this motherboard is that it has an optical in and optical out on its audio card.

Comment

Working...
                X