Really Need Help with MB Crash!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really Need Help with MB Crash!!

I have done above everything I know to try to fix my MB issue and this site is about my last option. I hope someone can help. Here goes...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I have a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro MB with a Athlon 3K XP, Radeon 9800, 4 sticks of mushkin 512 pc3200, WD 120 gig and a WD 36 gig Raptor with xp on it.<o:p></o:p>

The other day I know a couple of viruses where detected by Norton and I thought I contained them, but know I believe otherwise. My internet went out twice today for no reason and I had to reboot my computer and modem to get it to work again. Then when I rebooted I got a message saying some file was missing.<o:p></o:p>

Then this evening while playing WOW, all of a sudden my LCD monitor went blank and it said no single detected. So I hooked up a CRT directly to the MB thinking it might be that my Graphic card fried and I had no single on it either. I tried several things trying to get any response from my computer but it wouldn't even turn off. I unplugged it and turned it on again but there was nothing on the screen at all, no CD or DVD trays would open and the power/reset switch didn't respond. I then took out the HD with the OS on it and just hooked up a blank hard drive and tried to write zeros to that drive but again I could get nothing to show up on the screen. I looked at the MB and all fans and lights where operating normally. <o:p></o:p>

Finally I took the battery out of the MB to reset the CMOS and that had no effect and I still can't get any response. So here I am pulling my hair out and unable to reach Gigabyte till Monday. And out of all my friends, I'm the one they come to for computer problems, so you guys are my last best hope of not again ten years this weekend and being able to wipe my computer or just get something to show up on the screen. <o:p></o:p>

Any knowledge or suggestions is greatly appreciated.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks,<o:p></o:p>

Ash<o:p></o:p>

Re: Really Need Help with MB Crash!!

Do you have anywhere you can test the 9800 Pro or anything you can try replacing it with?

Comment

Try removing two of the memory modules. Sometimes having 4 sticks of RAM plays games with motherboards over time, especialy if they are in dual channel.

If that extra drive has room enough for XP try installing the OS on that drive and do some adware/malware/virus scans and see if that will fix somethings...

Also what kind of airflow do you have in that case of yours?

Things like this also happen when power supplys start to die or you add some new devices... Disconnect everything that is not esencial to boot into windows.

Comment

If I could load a new OS on one of my drives I would be very pleased. But I can't even get to bios or any type of single from the mb. I removed two memory modules, I have great airflow. It doesn't seem to be any failures in the memory or power supply. I don't believe it's the graphic card since nothing will respond on the computer like CD trays or power switches. I do have an older graphics card on the computer I'm using now, but I really doubt the card would make everything else stop responding. The MB seems to visually be working properly but that’s the only indication I'm receiving since I can't get a single from it. Is there a way to reset the MB? Can a virus directly affect a MB to the point where it won't respond? Can it be a safeguard from the MB to shut down completely to reduce any further damage? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Thanks,<o:p></o:p>

Ash<o:p></o:p>

Comment

OK,

I took everything out but my MB, CPU, Graphics card and 1 memory module and still nothing will post on my screen. I tested the graphics card in another computer and it worked fine.

So I'm assuming my MB is toast? Even though everything seems to be running normally on the MB to the naked eye.

Is it possible that the processor is burned out? I just want to make it’s the MB before I order a new one and find out it’s the CPU. They are the only two things left. If the processor wasn't working and the MB was, would something still post on the screen?

Thanks,
          Ash

Comment

Have you tried a different power supply? I'm assuming that you have a fairly good one considering the rest of your system but it still may be the source of your problem.

Edit: You said you reset the CMOS have you tried hooking up the onboard video output to your monitor since?

Edit again ..... you say the mobo lights are on but yet the CD trays won't open? .... I'm betting on the power supply since CD trays don't even have to be hooked to the mobo in order to open when you push the button.
            Last edited by PrairieDawg; 06-25-2005, 11:20 PM.
            Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

First tell us the PSU. I'd agree that that's what the indication is here.

Assuming that's not the problem, you can try to basically disconnect everything. Take the video card and RAM out; disconnect the hard drives, CD drives, and floppy drive or any other drives; unplug any fans from the motherboard and all of the PSU's cords; take the CMOS battery out. The CPU can stay in. Leave it like that for several hours, then put everything back and try it.

Comment

I know someone who had a similar Gigabyte mb. He has a 480 watt Thermaltake Silent Purepower and it works nice. The problem he had was that his board completely stopped responding to everything. When you ran the hd's from the psu without them connected to the ATA controller the disks spun and acted normal. When you attached the IDE cable from the drive to the board they stopped spinning. THis applied to all the hardware, cd-rom, hdd, etc.. The board is definately junked. We tried switching it out with a new cpu and instead of doing nothing the cpu got fried.

So...try unplugging your IDE/SATA cables from your hardware and see if they respond, such as the hdd's spinning and the cd-roms opening/closing. If that's the case your board is most likely crapped. If nothing happens it's more likely to be a psu problem.
                I'm anxious to see if it's a Gigabyte problem since we had similar symptoms here.

p.s. sorry for the lack of grammer and punctuation. I haven't slept much.

Comment

Working...
                X