Cables for devices don't match new mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cables for devices don't match new mobo

Ok, I'm pretty new at this. The motherboard in my compaq was giving me problems so I replaced it with this: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...factory=BROWSE

My problem is some of my devices don't have the proper plugs to attach to the new mobo. The CD audio, 3.5" floppy and front USB ports are all different sizes than the ones on the new mobo. Is there someway to adapt them? I'd hate to have to replace components that work fine.
    Thanks for any help

Re: Cables for devices don't match new mobo

You are now learning what is meant by a proprietary system. Dell is also notorious for this in regards to their power supply coupler. You might ask the manufacturer if there is an adapter available but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'd also be willing to bet that the pinouts are arranged differently from industry standard as well to make sure you go through the manufacturer for any replacement needs.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Well that stinks. I finally got the power on button to work after moving the connector to different pins on the mobo. There's gotta be a way to make it work if its just the connectors are different. Maybe find connectors that fit my new mobo and cut and splice them into the existing devices. If nothing else then maybe just clipping wires and making individual wire-to-pin connectors. Make sense? Just have each wire go directly to a pin instead of thru the plastic connector. Now, where to find connectors that I could splice in???

Comment

Be cautious about the trial and error method of testing your pin out connections. I ran into the same sort of problem as you are faceing with a Compaq motherboard. After much research I was able to find out what company had built my board but it was a "striped down" version of a fairly common model and the pin out diagram that I found was not correct. ... as a result I somehow burned out the USB plugs on the case ... it could just as easily have fried my motherboard.
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Working...
        X