ASUS A7N8X-X won't boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS A7N8X-X won't boot

I just get a second hand (Asus A7N8X-X motherboard athlon 2400+ 512 MB) and am using my old hard disk, DVD etc. I've put it in, connected the minimum of things (graphics card, hard disk, floppy), but it doesn't boot. I push the power button and the fans come on for about 2 seconds and then it shuts down.

I've pulled out the battery and changed the jumper (and back again) to reset the Bios but that didn't have any affect at all.

Help, please!

Re: ASUS A7N8X-X won't boot

Using a decent power supply? Check that there are no screws under the motherboard shorting it out
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Good questions. I'll check under the MB tonight. I was quite careful putting things together but may have missed something. I had to cut through my old backplate because it didn't fit the new motherboard and was busy with that si might have missed something.. I seem to remember missing a screw... wouldn't that be a dumb mistake if that was under the motherboard....

The powersupply is 6 years old but has served me faithfully (albeit with an Athlon 600). It is 350 W which should be enough for a loaded system let alone and unloaded config. like it is now.... unless time degrades a PS.....

I'm new at this so any suggestions are appreciated!

Comment

I think its time to get a new PSU, that one most likely will not power your SLI configuration, if anything higher than an Athlon XP2200, I will leave recomendations to others as my browser seems slow at the moment.

Comment

The PSU being most likely insufficient? Hmm...I'm not exactly got much connected too it. An oldish ATI 7000 RADEON 64 MB graphiics card, an 80 gb hd disk, the dvd and floppy. I would not have thought an Athlon 2400 would draw so much to give a 350W powersupply a problem... as I've seen faster Athlon CPUs put together with much bigger power consuming graphics cards....

I would have thought I''d at least get a pulse. Then again, it is 6 years old and all PSU's aren't created equal...

Comment

definately nothing shorting it out.... and even with the graphics card, hard disk etc detached still the same response. After the power button is pushed, fans go on for a second and then shut down. Help!

Comment

Mt bad.... I can't read. It was actually a 300W not a 350. So I've bought a new 450W PSU.... let's see if that works.

Comment

Originally posted by Amd_Lover2004
                I think its time to get a new PSU, that one most likely will not power your SLI configuration,
                The PSU may indeed be inefficient, but what on Earth are you talking about? SLI? We're talking about a socket A system here...

Comment

Well, I've still got my problem... in spite of buying a 450W power supply.... more money after bad.... still the same problem though... Please help!!!
                  Last edited by Scoman20; 03-02-2005, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Sigh, turned out to be an improperly seated heat sink... hopefully will be clear sailing from here on in....

Comment

REMOVE MOTHER-BOARD PUT ON WORK BENCH ,ONLY INSTALL MEM. PROC.&HEAK-SINK HOOKUP PWR. SUPPLY SHORT YOUR TWO PWR. CONNECTION TO GET PWR. TO BOARD,SEE IF IT WILL POST. GOOD LUCK,I ALWAY DO THIS BEFORE INSTALLING A MOTHER-BOARD.

Comment

Working...
                      X