fixing a compaq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing a compaq

so my friend took his busted ass computer to the store n they said he need new mobo and processor. I told him to get this

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...factory=BROWSE

with this

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...factory=BROWSE

The problem ios that the mobo I choose is a micro ATX. can I fit that into a regular tower compaq? it's that ugly blue and white looking one.

also.... he doesn't play much video games or anything so..... I need the onboard video o save money. Budget is $150. Guy at store said $180 for 2200+ plus $80 installation service. I'm just gunna do this for free for him. Any advice to which mobo and which procs? What's better, thoroughbred or Barton?

Re: fixing a compaq

MOST ATX cases will allow you to use a mATX board by doing nothing more than changing out a couple of standoffs. Since we're talking a manufactured PC, however, I can't make any assurances about how well this will work. Compaq and other makers of this type are notorious for creating a box that is so proprietary that you have to use their components to do any upgrading.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

As far as I know, HP (who sell pcs under the compaq brand) doesnt use "tricks" such as reversed ATX wiring, though ive had many complaints from purchasers of these machines about unreliability...however i avoid mATX boards because they flex and bend over time, and are a little less robust. Buy a Sempron 2400 or lower, if its available.

Comment

Barton is far superior; don't get a Thouroughbred. The motherboard is a good one for this system. He can play most games on the onboard and the older ones will run at respectable settings. I'd bet the case will take a mATX, and you can RMA the board if you really ave to. Or, you could go for a cheaper chipset and get a full ATX board with onboard video, since that board is kind of on the expensive side anyway.

Comment

Yawgm0th, arent xp bartons expensive and disappearing as we speak? Besides, the guy wont notice the difference if he doesnt play games much, and the Sempron runs cooler. From what ive seen, most boards with onboard video are mATX.

Comment

Originally posted by sr4470
            Yawgm0th, arent xp bartons expensive and disappearing as we speak?
            Not really. The Mobile Bartons and low-end regular Bartons (2400-2600) are still much cheaper than their Sempron Thouroughbred equivelents, and they will perform better in almost any application than a similarly-priced (or simlar-PR rating) T-Bred. I wouldn't suggest T-Bred/Sempron for any reason unless a Barton or Mobile Barton is completely out of the price range. Well, there is one other thing to consider...
            You don't get much of a warranty on Bartons of any kind since the retail are all but impossible to find. I think this is a mute point in most situations since a properly-setup computer won't start experiencing problems after the 30-day warranty expires, if they have any at all, and the most common cause of destruction is overclocking, which voids the warranty anyway.

However, a mid-range (high-end is just a waste of money...) Sempron with the retail HSF and long warranty would provide adequate performance and be the safest option.

Comment

Well it isnt like that here.. the only Bartons i see here are overpriced (a 3200 is more than what my A64 3000 cost)

Comment

Well, yeah, the high-end Bartons are overpriced here, too. But with 2400-2800 the prices are decent. Anything higher with Bartons or Semprons is just a waste of money since socket 754 will offer better performance for less money.

Comment

I've got a broken compaq and I'm thinking about putting in the same stuff as JD above. Will this heatsink work with it? http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...factory=BROWSE
                  Will the current power supply be sufficient?
                  Thanks
                  Rob

Comment

Working...
                  X