Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

Good morning,

Problems, much the same as quite a few others with the same combo it seems.

I ordered a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with a AMD 3500+ (939) 90nm, 2x512OCZ DDR400. Tsunami dream case.

The CPU and GPU are overheating at the same time then shutting down the system.

I have made sure all the fans are moving and running at optimal RPM's.

I have replaced the Ultra XConnect 500w PSU with a Enermax 550W PSU.

I have replaced the 6600GT with a 9600XT

I have switched the memory around

Doing all of these items still produced the same results of the CPU and GPU over heating and shutting the system down.

My last option will be to remove the entire board from the case, set it on the MB box and run it that way and see the temperatures I start getting.

I have read alot of issues with over heating and these baords, is it possible that the BIOS is just jacked and is reporting the wrong temperatures?

That might make sense, but if the NVidia tools are showing the GPU heating up, that runs seperate from the bios correct?

Would it be better to just have them switch to a different board all together? I like the NForce3 ability of this board, but is it worth it in the end? I guess I will have to wait and see with the board out of the case.

Any tips or similar stories?

Re: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

I'd suggest checking the thermal tape between the heatsink and the CPU to see if its damaged in any way, and make sure heat is really what causing the shutdowns.

Comment

I have removed the Heatsink (using a ThermalTake A1172, with Shin-Etsu thermal grease) and checked, the amount was not to much and not to little, it looked well applied.

And spongebob, you suggest ensuring that heat is what is shutting down the system, how would I go about doing that?

I have monitored the CPU and GPU temperatures when it shut down and at lock up and shutdown the CPU was at 89C and the GPU at 77C, this is right in the threshhold for shutdown based on the bios settings.

I know that the cooling in the case is good enough because the case temp stays around 35-40C.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixone
        I have removed the Heatsink (using a ThermalTake A1172, with Shin-Etsu thermal grease) and checked, the amount was not to much and not to little, it looked well applied.

And spongebob, you suggest ensuring that heat is what is shutting down the system, how would I go about doing that?

I have monitored the CPU and GPU temperatures when it shut down and at lock up and shutdown the CPU was at 89C and the GPU at 77C, this is right in the threshhold for shutdown based on the bios settings.

I know that the cooling in the case is good enough because the case temp stays around 35-40C.
        Your case is about the same temp as mine. The temp for your CPU seems a little high compared to my 63c but I have a P4 system and I believe that type of AMD CPU is suppose to run hotter (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so I couldn't say forsure. I've been told not take full trust into a bios temperture reading so I'm not sure if its always accurate. When I made the comment about making sure the heat is the cuase, I meant that system shutdowns could be cuased by other things, like Bios settings, OS settings, drivers, hardware, or maybe something shorting out.
        I have a setting on one of my systems Cmos where you can adjust the temperature that the system shuts its self down on, maybe yours is like this and somehow is set incorrectly. If you can adjust this and your sure this is the cuase, I suggest doing a Google search or ask someone here who knows forsure what AMD CPU's should run at before you do it so you don't fry the CPU.

Comment

I do have that setting, but it is not set, it is shutting down at some sort of a hard coded overheat point.

If it matters, the CPU Fan seems to be running around 3000-3200k rpm, and the north bridge fan is running around 5k.

I checked the memory timing and voltage, this seems to be set right as well as the GPU and the default CPU settings.

The CPU temp is gotten from 2 locations, bios and the MSI utility in windows. I will watch it climb up to 87c then shut down over 30 mins in the bios of 15 mins in windows.

I replaced the CPU fan with another known good, it spins at the same RPM, but same heating problem.

Swapped the memory with a lower performance one that is known good, same problem. I think I have exhausted every option besides just returning the board and getting another one.

My last chance is a beta bios from MSI, I will flash and see if that fixed it, if not, fineto for me on this board.

Comment

[QUOTE=phoenixone] I think I have exhausted every option besides just returning the board and getting another one.
            [QUOTE]

Maybe you should call MSI and ask them what they think is the cause before you send it back incase you run into the same problem again. Every once in a while you'll get ahold of someone that knows their product inside and out. If I remember right MSI has good tech support, i't might be worth the call.

Comment

Will do on Monday for sure, thanks.

Comment

I have seen soem AMD mobos incorrectly read temps like 90C, but if you get those temps for real, your components are getting fried. My personal test to make sure my temps are near what is being recorded is to touch the components while the computer is running. If your CPU is running at 89C, the heatsink should almost burn your fingers. And those temps are terrible, my overclocked AMD Duron runs 23C idle and 33C full load (which is cooler than normal) and the heatsinks feel slighty cool but warm to the touch. My Pentium 3 runs 35C idle and 45C full load with no CPU fans at all, so you see your temps are real bad.

Comment

It sounds a lot like improperly-applied heatsink and/or thermal compound. Never use any thermal compound but Arctic Silver 5, and make sure you've scratched off any thermal padding before mounting the heatsink. It could also be a really bad temperature sensor or just a bad board, which means either you can move the sensor or RMA the board.

Comment

When the computer was running, I checked the heat eminating from the GPU and CPU and there was tangible heat from then and the cooler on the CPU was hot to the touch, almost burning hot. so the system was truly heating up. If it were one component heating up, like just the CPU, then I also would think improperly applied compound, but the GPU was overheating at the same time, which led me to think the power supply was pumping to much juice, but the stats on the bios read just fine.

I didn't go as far as to get an actual meter on the wires, but swapping the power supply didn't work either.

So after no answers from MSI, I set a RMA on the MB combo and will have them replace it and test it new for me.

Thanks for the inputs, hopefully this new board works as promised.

Comment

The board telling the PSU to give too much power to components could be the issue, so hopefully the new board will fix it.

Comment

Hi,
                        I overheard the conversation by googing "temperature" and "MSI K8N Neo2."
                        I have the same mobo and CPU (Winchester 3500+). Mobo shuts down not long after I try installing XP. BIOS shows idle temp at about 46-50 degrees C. But when I put my hand on the base of the HSF it doesn't feet all that hot. I've read that the Winchester is supposed to idle (even RUN) cooler than that, and wonder if the problem is an incorrect reporting of the temp. I've read that some mobos/BIOSs have had such problems and wondered if the same thing had been reported for BIOS 1.4 for this mobo? Yes, the base of the HSF seems warmer when the system shuts down, but I really doubt it's anything close to 90 degrees C. That would be almost boiling hot! RMA'd the mobo today. I know the problem is not that the system is overtaxing the PSU. I upgraded that from 380W to 480W, swapped the Radeon 9600 SE (passive cooling because it doesn't draw that much current) with a Radeon 7000 (which draws even less), and removed everything but one HDD and a DVD unit. 1GB Corsair RAM. Shuts down before XP installation finishes formatting the HDD. I hope it's not the CPU that's causing this. It's too late to RMA that to the retailer.
                        --sothoner

Comment

Hi,

I'm new to all this and I can't really help with previous contributor's questions but I'm having similar issues myself. Am I right in assuming that I have a temp issue with the following:
                          k8n ne02 platinum
                          athlon 64 3500 socket 939.
                          MSI 5900 Ultra graphic card ( with built-in MASSIVE heat sink & two fans)

After installing windows, setting up drivers etc etc etc. Play a game. All seems ok so I shutdown, go to bed.
                          Next day, turn on power and fans kick in ok and then immediately shutdown. That's it, nothing else happens. If I reset the power, try again, same repsonse.
                          So, overnight, my system has gone from working ok to no longer booting. I've now replaced the PSU and the case ( now with 3 built in fans) .

Can anyone help me please?

Comment

Hi,
                            Update: I RMA'd the mobo and received a refund. I bought the same mobo from another retailer and installed it using the same hardware. When I reinstalled the CPU fan, I googled for the proper way to use Arctic Silver 5 (use a small glob the size of 1-1/2 rice grains in the center of the heat spreader on the CPU, twist the heatsink a few degrees each way upon mating the surfaces to spread it). Don't know which--the replacement mobo or the more carefully applied Arctic Silver 5--solved the problem (I may have used too much Arctic Silver 5 the first time), but the problem was solved. System running stable with all hardware attached for many hours now. (I researched and found that the AMD 3500+ shuts down if it isn't happy with its temperature. Don't know if that was my problem or not, but such action is hardwired within the CPU and would not be affected by BIOS or mobo. FWIW.)
                            --sothoner

Comment

P.S. HDDs definately do not like to be powered down during a format operation. Had to return two brand new HDDs which had become very tempermental and would no longer work smoothly after all that shutdown stuff. fdisk. reformat. same problems. fdisk. reformat. same problems. They were way very not happy about being interrupted in the middle of a format.
                              --sothoner

Comment

Working...
                              X