Is this an O.K. board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an O.K. board?

I need a board for an LGA775 P4 CPU and have been thinking about this one. I don't have DDR2 memory yet so it limits my choices a bit (using dual DDR 400). This board has PCI-express 16 and AGP 8X and I haven't seen too many boards with both slots plus the option of both DDR2 and DDR system memory. I don't like C-media sound but maybe it just sucks on my MSI board. Anyone know if the i915P + ICH6 chipset is worthy or would you use something else for gaming? I believe the price is unbeatable with the options.

Re: Is this an O.K. board?

I find that quite interesting, didnt think the AGP and PCI-E slots could be used on the same board... Might be a "one or the other" Kinda thing not both, but I can be sure.

Seems to be a lower end board and you probably wont get a huge amount of proformance out of it, depending on what CPU and what applications you plan on using it for, Games, Vidoe edit, and so forth.

Comment

No LGA775 system is good for gaming. I wouldn't use any of them for a gaming machine ever, and neither would anyone else in their right mind (that isn't being payed to, which is different). I wouldn't use that board in any case as it's not that great a board, even for LGA775.

As for the AGP, if I remember correctly, that board actually uses what is called "AGP Express," which is basically a regular PCI (not PCI-E) slot made to fit (and work with) AGP video cards. The problem is that this actually does reduce performance for 4x and 8x cards, though PCI-E cards will perform fine.

If you really want to get a gaming system and a PCI-E motherboard, then buy one off eBay. They're (just the ASUS SLI) available there now and will be at online retailers soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
        No LGA775 system is good for gaming. I wouldn't use any of them for a gaming machine ever, and neither would anyone else in their right mind (that isn't being payed to, which is different). I wouldn't use that board in any case as it's not that great a board, even for LGA775.

As for the AGP, if I remember correctly, that board actually uses what is called "AGP Express," which is basically a regular PCI (not PCI-E) slot made to fit (and work with) AGP video cards. The problem is that this actually does reduce performance for 4x and 8x cards, though PCI-E cards will perform fine.

If you really want to get a gaming system and a PCI-E motherboard, then buy one off eBay. They're (just the ASUS SLI) available there now and will be at online retailers soon.

I have a 3 GHZ LGA CPU so I need a board to go with it. What do you suggest?

Comment

Depends. What is it going to be used for?

Comment

Depends. What is it going to be used for?
            Mostly gaming.

Comment

I'd suggest you read this and base your choice off of what features you need and if you need overclockability.

Comment

I'd suggest you read this and base your choice off of what features you need and if you need overclockability.

Thanks for the link. I don't think I'll invest $190 into that MSI board that took gold though, I like MSI for the somewhat stable overclocking to a certain point but there also spendy boards. I'm tring to keep my mainboard budget under $120 (US) new or refurbished. The ECS brand got platnium but its not the same model I chose above for a fraction of the cost of the MSI board that I'd also have to spend $$$ on DDR2 memory (Not worth it right now). I think I'll save up for the big stuff when I build my AMD system this spring, but for this new Intel system its going to have to settle for a board that supports DDR memory.

Comment

This looks good for a LGA775 board using DDR.

Comment

This looks good for a LGA775 board using DDR.

Not bad! Do you think its better than the one I'm considering? If so, why?

Heres a link to it again.

Comment

It's just a weaker performer, but feature-wise they aren't much different. The ECS has that AGP slot, but the ABIT has a third PCI-E slot (which is probably more likely to see use). The ABIT also has greater capacity for RAM. I'd go with the ABIT, but you probably wouldn't be unhappy with the ECS, and your wallet wouldn't be as light.

Comment

Originally posted by Amd_Lover2004
                        I find that quite interesting, didnt think the AGP and PCI-E slots could be used on the same board... Might be a "one or the other" Kinda thing not both, but I can be sure.
                        The AGP slot on that mainboard is a PCI slot disguised as an AGP slot (it only runs at 33MHz).

Comment

HAH thought somthing was funny, man that must realy kill a 6800 (or any high end card for that matter) proformance wise eh?

Comment

It will bottleneck any AGP card.

Comment

Its powered by the electrical lines from 2 PCI slots, hence the "AGP Express" designation...as a temporary solution its ok (i.e. you dont need to get a PCI-E vga card just to use the pc)

Comment

Working...
                              X