No announcement yet.

PCI Express and AMD motherboards.. will it ever happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCI Express and AMD motherboards.. will it ever happen?

I'd like to get the NVIDIA 6800 but all the retailers here sell it for PCI Express only... and the only PCI Express mobos they sell are Intel... is AMD out of the game in the near future??

Re: PCI Express and AMD motherboards.. will it ever happen?

The AMD PCI Express motherboards sould very close to being out everywhere soon, if they arent already.

There are some available where I live, I havent seen any of the SLI's though.

Comment

Originally posted by raveolution
      is AMD out of the game in the near future??
      On the contrary, Intel is out of the game in the near future. I'd rather forget and get an AGP AMD system because it will simply have more bang-for-buck than anything Intel offers. Sure, PCI-E (and SLI, for that matter) is nice, but there's no performance bonus in games (and won't be for quite some time), and Intel processors are simply so much worse than Athlon 64s in the vast majority of games that a well-designed gaming machine simply can't be Intel, regardless of the budget in question.

But as AMD_Lover said, AMD PCI-E motherboards should be available very soon, assuming they aren't as I type this.

Comment

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Mainboard
        (Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64, Socket 939, nForce4 SLI, ATX, 4GB DDR, 2000MHz FSB - SKU: A8NSLI)

Is out now, going for around $300 US at a very few stores, online Monarch computers Systems and FuturePowerPC.com
        Looks interesting and the reviews have been good.

Comment

isn't pci-e faster than agp?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeeg
            isn't pci-e faster than agp?
            Yes they are, but its harder to overclock the bus, or so I've heard.

Comment

http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...962#post219962

I wouldn't worry about PCI-E vs. AGP. There's no performance difference now and won't be for some time. You can overclock the cards just as well (provided you have the same temperatures, but OCing is never a guaranteed thing anyway), and you wouldn't want to overclock the AGP or PCI-E bus anyway (unless you like stability problems or permanent damage).

Comment

Hello,
                I have had my original Slot A, Abit Athlon 800 O'cd for over four years,24/7; sometimes brutally so. The PCI and AGP bus' are up also, corresponding to the FSB. when so you suppose I am going to experience "permanent" damage?

thank you
                phil

Comment

Probably going to experiance that soon if you havent seen any minor items popping up, also depends on what voltage you are sending though it, and what kind of OC we talking about here... 1GHz?

Comment

It depends how far they are up. If your board has no PCI/AGP lock and you're forced to overclock the AGP and PCI buses along with FSB, then it's probably limiting your OC. Usually you won't get to the point of serious damage from PCI or AGP bus overclocks because you'll get instability.

Comment

Originally posted by Day
                      Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Mainboard
                      (Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64, Socket 939, nForce4 SLI, ATX, 4GB DDR, 2000MHz FSB - SKU: A8NSLI)

Is out now, going for around $300 US at a very few stores, online Monarch computers Systems and FuturePowerPC.com
                      Looks interesting and the reviews have been good.
                      Wow, nice... thanks for the information. I'm now FINALLY in the market (financially speaking) to buy that system. :)

Comment

Working...
                      X