Underclocking help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underclocking help

I would like to underclock my system to play certain older games that are otherwise not playable due to far greater computer speeds. I cant seem to do it through bios it unless you have to press a special butten... and Easy Tune 5 won't let me touch the multiplier.

The only thing that I know how to underclock on this particular computer is the memory, I can take it down to 166 from 200 as the fsb is naturaly 200 x 11 the memory/fsb ratio would be made wierd...

Re: Underclocking help

Nevermind I found a new bios upgrade that allows me to underclock and overclock by using the miltiplyier.

I went from version 2 to version 9 so that helped...

Comment

I am now running it at a multiplier of 5 x 200 so 1GHz... just to see if it made a big diffrence, and I discovered although noticable, that the an underclock of 1.2GHz didnt make that much of a diffrence. I can still play all the games as if nothing was changed... CPU-Z proves that it is runnung at 1004.6MHz.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm sure there is a difference. But, since you did not change the FSB (HTT) the components are still basically communicating at the same speed.

Comment

I guess that would make sence... Does underclocking prolong the life of the CPU or would it lower the lifespan like overclocking?

And if so what would do more dammage, lowering the multiplier or decreasing the FSB?

Edit: in other words are there any negative effects to underclocking?
          Last edited by Amd_Lover2004; 11-26-2004, 02:17 PM.

Comment

AHHHH.... with my underclocked processor at 1GHZ my CPU fan stops for a min or two then goes again for about 5 mins. Is this somthing to be worried about or is it just not needing the cooling and turns it off?

Comment

What you should really do is use the cool 'n' quiet function instead of manually underclocking

Comment

I would but the I dont realy like it that much and I am having some minor heat problems right now at full or overclocked speeds, I am going to get a new copper HSF to combat this.

Comment

The thermaltake venus 12 would be a good choice, as unlike the k8 silent boost it has adjustable fan speed

Comment

Ok... How would you go about adjusting the fan speed? Is there software that comes with it or something?

Comment

It can either be done automatically by temp sensor or manually by variable control or just full speed but why you did just checkout the spec's for yourself beats me.

Comment

Hey what about a HSF like this one are they any good?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X