Upgrading Motherboard In Win XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Motherboard In Win XP

Okay here's the problem I'm having. I have a system I'm working on right now where the power supply fried and killed the motherboard as well. I have a new motherboard and processor and RAM but the old windows installation still wants to use the old drives and so it can't get into windows and it won't/can't detect that the hardware has changed and automatically find drivers that will work. Is there a way to disable/delete the old motherboard drivers in Windows Recovery Console so that windows can find drivers for the new motherboard?!? Thanks a ton for anyone that can help. And yes I know that it's probably easier to just reinstall windows but then I have to go in and set it all back up the way it was.
    -Tamrynn

"If your employer ever buys $400 dollar computers in a city 2 hrs away throw them away."

Re: Upgrading Motherboard In Win XP

it might be possible to do a recovery install but i would recommend reformating to make sure that itll work properly

Comment

With a whole new motherboard it is best to reformat.

Comment

It's almost impossible to switch motherboards without at least reinstalling. Simply reinstalling will work almost as well as reformatting if you need to save files, otherwise, reformat.

Comment

Technically, yes, you can do a mobo swap under XP, but if you're going to try it, I'd back up just in case. If you do it, uninstall everything under Device Manager first, shut down, then swap the motherboard out. Again, back up first as Windows does not take kindly to having the mobo changed out from under it.

Comment

Hey Thanks everybody. And Morgan it just so happens that we bought four of the same kind of computer so I'll just switch the hard drive into one of functioning ones and then do as you suggested after I back up the data of course. Thanks again everybody.

-Tamrynn

Comment

If you've got them networked, I'd just toss the stuff that's important on another machine for the time being.

Comment

There's actually three ways you can do what you want to do and not lose any data, the ghost function in Norton is one, I'm not up that so I'll pass. The other two ways I have used to do what you want to do, the first is:
                Go to Microsoft's web page for windows and search for knowledge base item
                # Q310994 it will have the Link for downloading Windows XP Setup Boot disks,
                with these you can repair the installation that you have and it keeps all your old settings, no data will be lost. This works is you have a legal copy of XP or at least have a CD number.
                the other way is go to the same site and print out the instructions for knowledge base item # 307545, it explains what you have to do to replace the Hives in XP. this one takes a lot of typing but works.
                Last edited by wscott21; 09-11-2004, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X