No announcement yet.

Asus P4P800 SE Unmountable Boot Volume Error. help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P4P800 SE Unmountable Boot Volume Error. help!

hey, im new here but I am having a problem. i am getting the dreading unmountable boot volume when trying to start my computer. i have look threw many forums and done what they say but it does not work. most common solution ive seen is to boot off the xp disc and type r or whatever to go into the command prompt when you get to the Windows Setup screen. However, when I boot off the XP cd, I do not go to a Windows Setup screen!, instead it boots off as regular, does something about inspecting my hardware, loads a bunch of files, and instead of going to the windows setup screen, it just goes to the unmountable boot volume error. can anyone help?!? i also get a blue error screen when i try to start up everything without booting from the XP disc. i am pretty sure all the BIOS are correct and i just flashed to the lastest BIOS. the unmountable boot volume screen also tells me to try disabling cache and shadowing in the BIOS, but I have looked EVERYWHERE in the BIOS and I see NOTHING that says cache and/or shadowing. i hate calling technical support because a majority of the time it is people that sound like they just learnt english and I cant really understand them.. thanks

Re: Asus P4P800 SE Unmountable Boot Volume Error. help!

What kind of hard drive are you booting from? If a standard IDE drive, you've probably toated the MBR and possibly the FAT as well. The first thing to do is to try the hard drive manufacturer and see if they have a DOS utility that checks the drive for any problems. This could give you a place to start your troubleshooting. You also might try using a boot disk and typing "format c: /mbr" (without quotes of course) and see if this allows you to boot up. If the drive tests good and the format command doesn't fix your problems, then you're likely looking at a format/install option.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

thanks, yeah i got a standard IDE Western Digital 120GB HDD, i just used Data Lifeguard Tools V. 11.0 from there website and it found no errors on either the quick test and the full test. i put in a bootable floppy and typed in what you said and go this "invalid switch - /mbr"

Comment

My apologies, I must have been having a senior moment. The proper command is "fdisk /mbr" and not the format command I stated earlier. Just make sure you're at the C:\ prompt when you type the command.

Sorry for the goof.
        My Toys

Comment

how can i get from the A:\ prompt to C:\ from the floppy?

Comment

just type this

c:\
            My Toys

Comment

i typed it in and got Invalid Drive Specification I tried putting in the other letters of the partitions i had made and i got the same responce. i dont know if this has anything to do with it but with the thing i got from W.D. under the "selected drive" menu it says "Drive : 0 PORT 0 x1F0

Comment

After doing a quick Google search for some fdisk parameters, I found this:

- FDISK /STATUS - Shows you the current status of your hard drives.
                - FDISK - MBR - Repair the master boot record.
                - FDISK /X - Ignores extended disk-access support. Use this switch if you receive disk access or stack overflow messages.
                Don't know if it will be of help, but the /x switch looks like it may be helpful. If not then you're likely going to have to bite the bullet and reformat the drive as the MBR and FAT are too corrupted to be saved.
                My Toys

Comment

thank you again for your help. when i typed in FDISK /STATUS i got this

Disk:1 DRV: Mbytes:8025 Free:0 Usage:100%

the other parameters didnt work. i think im just going to format the HDD, by making a bootable disc from partition magic since i dont know how to manually format
                  Last edited by fainter; 07-28-2004, 11:11 AM. Reason: needed to change something

Comment

um...i just used the western digital thing and wrote zeros to the full drive and i still got the unmountable boot volume error when trying to instal windows

Comment

oooo... that is a bad thing then. While very rare, it looks like you may have a fried IDE channel on your mainboard. This doesn't happen very often at all is the main reason I didn't bring it up earlier. Try removing the optical devices and set up the hard drive on the secondary IDE channel to see if it will recognize the device. If it does, you'll either need to replace the motherboard or add in a PCI card for the IDE functions.

Oh, and one more thing... have you double checked the hard drive to make sure that any necessary jumper is in the proper place for Master/Slave?
                      My Toys

Comment

switched it to the secondary channel and still got unmountable boot error when trying to install Windows. even switched it to run as a slave and it still didnt work. do you think I should get the PCI card thing?

**edit**
                        I just bought the board from a computer show, i dont understant how it could of gotten fried
                        Last edited by fainter; 07-28-2004, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I to am having this problem and I doubt it's the IDE controller on the mother board.
                          I just got a new HD and took out my OLD hard drive and tried to install WXPpro it got what Fainter got the same thing after it starts to load some file s, it goes strait to a Blue Screen "unmountable_boot_volume". So I disconnected the IDE cord and connected it back to my Old Hard drive, then reformatted the New Hard Drive and did a Scan disk, "becuase theres no other way for me to Type anything in order to run a scan Disk."

I've went to Microsoft.com and did a search but all that comes up is "1" topic on how people are getting this ERROR on a Restart or XP Upgrade from and older version, and i'm not doing eather, I'm starting anew.

I've search Google,Cnet,yahoo, everywere and all that pops up is how to run a scan disk or Format after you come to the Windows installation page, but I can never get to it, I go strait to a blue screen.

O and this is also a brand new Mother Board Abit-Company.

This Bites,
                          Last edited by SEGA4life; 01-31-2005, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X