Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Problem!!!

Ok heres the deal...

When I first bought my computer it came with Win Me already pre-installed, Then I bought Win XP and updated that on Win ME. That was working fine.
    After some time my computer became more filled with junk and old games so I decided to do a reformat. I used the recovery CD that came with my computer to resore it into factory condition and re-installed all the drivers. Then I re-installed Win Xp (clean installation) so it was only Xp and no old ME files and other junk. I installed the drivers that I had on CD (Graphics Card, Ethernet Link, Mouse etc.)

But XP is having problems it takes like 20min to turn on (Did not do this before) Its extremly laggy. Ive been trying to find out what the problem was for ages. I went into the device manager and looked at some devices and its saying that no drivers are installed for these devices (System board, motherboard resources and some others)

I have some ideas on what to do but i need some expertise on what I should do!

Should I re-install Xp or do i just need to download these drivers????

If its chipset drivers then i think you need to format and install those drivers for your mother board before installing any drivers for video etc.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

I second that it sounds like Windows has Scrambled brains. You should try reinstalling your chipset drivers and if that dosent do it Then I'd go ahead with the Reformat.

Some system Specs would be helpful :D

Comment

Originally posted by #Hashx#
        I second that it sounds like Windows has Scrambled brains. You should try reinstalling your chipset drivers and if that dosent do it Then I'd go ahead with the Reformat.

Some system Specs would be helpful :D

Heres the bigger question I do not know were to find my chipset drivers and I dont see how formatting again will help in me getting them. The only drivers I have at the moment are my Graphics card my Ethernet "NetMateLink" and mouse drivers. And of course the WinXP CD.
        I do have a recovery CD that came with my computer when it had ME installed, When I insert it tells me to restart the computer so it can begin the restore but instead when it boots it waits for me to type a command (DOS format). Like this

A:\

which it had not done before, my guess is you still need Windows ME files on your computer for the restore to work, and those files are gone from the face of the earth.

I did run into difficulties installing XP...

I had two seperate drives Local Disk C: and SYSTEM_SAV D: XP installed itself on the wrong drive *SYSTEM_SAV D: which has like 3GB on it so I had two operating systems at once :(. I reinstalled it again and it gave me the option of deleting partition D: I decided to do this because I didnt like having two seperate drives, it cleared absouly everything from my computer and now only Xp is installed and im having these problems

PLEEEAAASSSEEEEEE tell me I didnt totally skrew over my computer and were I can find the damn drivers I need.

Comment

well do you have a motherboard manual? it will say in there what chipset you have.

Comment

I do not have a manual...
            Is there any way i can detect what type of chipsets I have such as a program or something??

Comment

CPU-Z
              You'll also want to get updated video drivers. You can find your video card (and its manufacturer) in control panel > system > device manager > display adapters. You will have to go to the web sites of your chipset's and video card's manufacturers. Just use Google if you have trouble finding stuff.

Comment

Working...
              X