GA-5AX... (pics attatched)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'aight, ty

i'll try that when i get home from work tomorrow n see what goes...

(so long as x= ON ;) )

Comment

O = On
      X = off
      Maybe that's where ya went wrong because if ya done that to the multiplier it would give you 250MHz. :?:

Comment

nope - i followed the manual, and set the switches and jumpers exactly as it sez

current settings (as described in manual):
        k6-2 500 @ 2.2v (100*5)

1 off
        2 on
        3 on
        4 off
        5 on
        6, 7, 8 off

JP6, 7 1-2

JP9 2-3

JP10 1-2

for 2.4v, SW5 and 6 are reversed

(yeah, i know the one you just posted is for the 450... ;) and i had followed the specs in the manual for that also, when i had the 450 in it )

Comment

Originally posted by ct_
          and, if it were possible to run an amd k6-3 + 450 on this board, i'd do it (note the "+", it's different from the regular k6-3 series)
          I was just tellin' how to run one and I did say that the "+" doesn't matter so long as it's recocnised as a K6-3 is all that really matters so the the M/B knows that the CPU has an on die L2 cache. Even the later boards only report it as a K6-3 and that enough and those settings will get a K6-3+450 runnin' at 550.

A standard K6-2 500 it is as ya just said though if ya have SW1/2/3 the opposite way around that will give ya a multipier of 2.5 which equals 250MHz. :smokin:
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

ok, well, i tried them settings, and guess what?

it no worky! i.e., no boot, nada, nothing.....

so, i set to the following, right from the manual for the 450 chip, the same as i had with problems before

(2.4v, it says on the chip, btw)

sw
            1, 2, 3 and 6 are ON
            4, 5, 7, and 8 are OFF

jp7 1-2
            JP8 1-2
            jp9 2-3
            jp10 1-2

in BIOS, i set:
            cpu internal cache enabled
            external cache enabled
            cpu write allocate enabled
            DRAM timing FAST
            CAS Latency AUTO
            DRAM integrity mode disabled

it boots, and shows:

AMD K-6/III/450

no problem there....
            so i get to windows, and things SEEM faster, or it may just be my imagination, since SANDRA shows:

on system summary page:
            225mhz :eek:
            50Mhz FSB

cpu + biso page:

225mhz
            multiplier 4.5
            model info is shown correctly
            FSB 50Mhz
            the "tips" says to enable ECC on L2 for stability - well, isn't that the "cpu internal cache", which is enabled?

sandra also sez the mobo is v 1.00 but below that it says OEM revison 2E.31 ....

now, i'l post this, attempt to play a game (Bumper Wars - ya GOTTA try it!) and see what happens

oh yeah, here's a screenshot:

Comment

well, that didn't last long...

got about 35 seconds into the game and the PC froze up and the monitor acted as if it had no signal coming to it

so i reboot and try to play an mpeg - that lasted almost a full minute before the system froze, and most icons turned black

drivers you say? all updated to latest

system updates, yep - all updated
              and i don't wanna hear about how this (sapphire brand) radeon 7500 can't work with this mobo, cuz it can - it's compatible with 2x-4x AGP, so i know it's not voltage

so, i'll launch my ftp server and see how long it lasts before i get an "invalid floating point error message"...

all i want is the system to be stable.. is that so much to ask!?!? :( :rolleyes: :confused:

Comment

just playing with the jumpers...

set to 105fsb, system unstable, play a game, crash, playa vid, crash
                set to 110, system freeze @ "starting windows", just after the white bar fulls loads (win2k)
                set to 115, no boot
                set to 95, same as normal
                set to normal (100), same results as always system will not play video or play games

mp3's still work though, and sandra and sysinfo both report 1/2 of what it's supposed to be

so now i got the 500 back in, with default jumpers (as specified in the manual) and of course it still won't play vid, and still reports 1/2 of speed, plus system is DEFINETLY slower (major difference between k6/3-450 and k6/2-500)

what the HELL is going on??!?!?!?!?!
                why can't i get a STABLE system?!?!?!?!

Comment

where the hell is everybody? did AU get cut off the internet?
                  (this board and IRC are DEAD for the last 4 hours)

i reset the BIOS to defaults, then made the following changes:

write allocate - disable
                  DRAM -FAST
                  CAS - 3
                  graphics apeture size - 64mb
                  DRAM integrity mode - disabled
                  cpu internal cache - enabled

in xteq - i set the L2 to 512 (the mobo has it onboard)

however at boot, the RAM counting is MUCH slower now

anyway, the ftp server starts up and on the log screen i get this:

Running on 1xAMD K6 2(3D) 502 Mhz with 1048048 KB (827940 KB free) under Windows NT 5.0 Service Pack 2

yahelite says the same thing for cpu speed...

games and videos only play for a few seconds before the system locks up

cooling is not an issue - cpu has a fan, ram has 2 fans (486-type), vid card has 2 fans (1 blows downward, origonal on the card, and 1 {2 1/2" )blows up, onto the cpu heatsink and onto the ram at the same time
                  it's cool enough to touch for as long as i want

so, SOMETHING is wrong, but now i don't think it's the cpu/mobo
                  :( :snip:

Comment

:( :(

any ideas anyone?

:confused:

Comment

Quite frankly you shouldn't be havin' those probs as I've never and I've used those boards since ver.3 so it maybe that you have a dud board. :smokin:
                      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

well, after another weekend of screwing with this board, i still can't get it to recognize the correct cpu speed

thinking it could possible have been something i did with the registry (but not believing it) i did a clean install of win2k, and as soon as i got to the desktop i checked the sysinfo - still says 1/2 of the actual cpu (with either the 450 or 500)

BIOS show the full speed, ftp app shows the full speed, a chat app show the full speed, but the OS just won't have it

a command line cpu id shows only 1/2 speed too...

then, with either the geforce256 or the radeon 7500 installed, i still get vid problems

g..256: monitor turns off (no signal) within 3 minutes of getting to the desktop

r..7500: 30 seconds into a vid , icons turn black and system freezes, 30 seconds into a game the monitor turns off (no signal)

the board CAN handle the cpu(s) and the vid card(s), according to the specs - so what the F&*^( is going on?!?!?!?!?

what the hell do i need to do to get this f-ing system simply running normal?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Comment

Working...
                        X