Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ** MotherBoard that Supports TWO P4 2.53 Processors

Hello.
    I have been doing a lot of stuff that take up a large amount of CPU power. [video editing and encoding to be exact]
    I was wondering if there were any motherboards out there that supports 2+ P4 non-xeon processors. I've been looking around, but they all were made for xeon+ processors.

Thanks for any help.

I for sure have never seen a dual intel board that runs anything but xeon:thumb:

Comment

I dont think u can have 2 P4C or B running on the mobo. Only XEON.
      AMD makes MP for dually systems or Opertron 2xx series for the upper end.
      but XEONS arent that expensive, check out www.pricewatch.com

Comment

rats... I really hope there were so that i didn't have to buy more processors and stuff. Oh well, thanks a lot!!!

Comment

Regular P4 chips can not run in dual systems which is why ya won't find such a mobo.

Comment

could dual xeons give better performance than a single P4? i know i am stupid- but still curious

Comment

Originally posted by higney85
              could dual xeons give better performance than a single P4? i know i am stupid- but still curious
              In multi-threaded apps yes.

That means a single processor will perform the same in games, as they only run one thread of code (hopefully this changes in the future, I would LOVE to run a dual CPU system).

If you want to go dual look into the Opterons.

Comment

Originally posted by rugbydude
                I for sure have never seen a dual intel board that runs anything but xeon:thumb:
                Well, now you won't. But back in the dark days when win98 was king, you could get dual celerys! Check this out-

http://www.pcscoop.com/HARDWARE/moth..._bp6_page1.asp

Then Intel disabled the MP support when the celerys got to 500. The P3's still had MP support, and now the P4's don't have it (I think they never did, but IMO the early P4's were a joke and so never even looked to check). Its a bit of a pity, really, because even though most people wouldn't notice the diffrence those people using photoshop, 3D studio max and video editiors would (if the app. is MP capable). Thats the catch- the app. must be MP capable, or else you get no improvement.

As for preformance of the Xeon's vs. P4's- even on a non-MP app., with all things equal (total speed, fsb, ram etc.) a Xeon is faster than a P4, due to its larger cache. But you'll pay dearly for the (not huge) preformance increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Rain
                  Well, now you won't. But back in the dark days when win98 was king, you could get dual celerys!
                  But Win9x oses can't support 2 CPU's so ya had to run NT, Linux or some other dual CPU capable os.

Comment

Working...
                  X