Recommended Motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Motherboards

What what motherboard are you guys looking at that could be purchased fairly cheaply (No 64 Bit's please, because no applications run on the 64 yet and they're quite expensive :shoot2: ) ....But, I was told I probably need to upgrade my motherboard from my current KT266/A chipset to something faster.

Question: Would it make it run faster or smoother, or is it just that the electronics are outdated on it?

Thanks for help :spam:

A few things...

1. This does not belong in Video Card Overclocking

2. You are entirely wrong about 64 bit, the A64's run just fine right now in 32-bit mode. You have been brainwashed. I also don't consider $220-280 extremely expensive for the fastest desktop CPU in the world...

3. It would be nice if you told us what CPU you have, as its hard to recommend a motherboard without this information.

Comment

Originally posted by Idiot-Savant
      What what motherboard are you guys looking at that could be purchased fairly cheaply (No 64 Bit's please, because no applications run on the 64 yet and they're quite expensive :shoot2: ) ....But, I was told I probably need to upgrade my motherboard from my current KT266/A chipset to something faster.

Question: Would it make it run faster or smoother, or is it just that the electronics are outdated on it?
      Yes your chipset is quite outdated and from ya other thread I take it that ya have an AthlonXP 2000+ so any good quality nForce2 400 Ultra based mobo should provide a good performance increase and still allow ya to use ya current CPU and if that 1GB of memory of your's is 2 x 512MB modules of the same brand and model then you'll be able to use both memory channels (how well will really depend on their speed rating which wasn't stated in ya previous thread).
      As for the Athlon64 they're quite cost competive now and will run 32bit WinXP (and all other associated software) with no probs what so ever but ya'll be better prepared for the future.

Comment

AGP 8x vs. 4x
        :My motherboard only handles 4x, or atleast the drivers do. Is there a way to get a driver/BIOS flash/update that will allow it 8x? And does 8X actually give you that much more of a boost. I feel like I was cheated on my graphics card and feel I need to make it my best before I judge it because my PC just may not be putting out.

Thanks again! :thumb:

Comment

AGP 8x vs. 4x
          My motherboard only handles 4x, or atleast the drivers do. Is there a way to get a driver/BIOS flash/update that will allow it 8x? And does 8X actually give you that much more of a boost. I feel like I was cheated on my graphics card and feel I need to make it my best before I judge it because my PC just may not be putting out.
          Thanks again! :thumb:
          There's no need to keep makin' new threads whenever ya have a new question on what's basically your same subject. There is very little between 4x and 8x AGP rates but your mobo chipset is incapable of runnin' 8x AGP becaused it wasn't designed into it. The biggest cheat that ya did to that video card was to couple it with that archaic chipset.

Comment

Thanks for help :spam:
            Who told you that you needed to upgrade your board? Why? If your going to, them Wiggo has it right- get a nForce 2 board. They are great, and when I upgraded from a Asus A7V-266-E (same chipset as yours), it was slightly faster than the old one with nothing esle changed.

Comment

Working...
            X