Need help with sound on Asus A7N8X Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with sound on Asus A7N8X Deluxe

OK, I have recently had an Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard put in, I am currently using a Soundblaster Audigy 2 soundcard. I have been told by many people that I should just use the onbaord sound as it will blow the Audigy 2 out of the water! I have also noticed that I have been getting random bluescreens "IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL" and microsoft says this is due to a driver not being read properly by the operating system. I went to the store where they sell the Asus motherboards and told the person there that I thought these bluescreens could be due to my RAM (I have Micron PC 2700 333mhz - 2x512 sticks-slots 1 and 3 dual channel) I told him I had the Audigy 2 installed and the motherboard sound disabled in the BIOS. He told me that he had numerous complaints about soundblaster sound cards in the A7N8X Deluxe and when people took them out and used the onboard sound, the bluescreens stopped! Problem is that I DO NOT KNOW HOW to go into my BIOS and change it to use the onboard sound!! I can take my card out and take all of the drivers out by cleaning the registry with aa tools and even erase all traces of them by using evidence eliminator, BUT HOW DO I GET INTO MY BIOS ON THE ASUS A7N8X Deluxe?? When I am there....WHAT DO I CHANGE?? I am a complete NEWBIE at this motherboard and have NEVER been into the BIOS, I had the people that came and built my system disable the onboard sound for me! They asked at the time...why and I told them I already had a sound card!! Could this be a poblem that could cause windows xp to bluescreen?? I don't mind taking out my sound card, but I need to know HOW to replace it with the onboard sound! I still have my CD for the motherboard. Could somebody tell me step by step how to enable my sound in the BIOS?? Also, do I need the CD for the drivers for onboard sound?? And lastly, will I have to reinstall the drivers everytime I reformat?? If anyone can take the time to help me thirough this I would appreciate it! Mabye this will stop the bluescreens....if it doesn't, I may have to look for another kind of motherboard!
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

during startup there will be a message during the memory cout that says to hit _____ (insert F1, F2, F8, DEL) it ill be one of these)) to enter setup. when you do that you will get the main bios setup screen. while you are in there take a look around and get to know your bios. go the the screen that has a setting for on board sound and check if it is enabled, if it is disable it as it could be causing conflicts with the audigy card. if it is set to disable then change it to enable and take the audigy out untill we find out what is going on.

Comment

I just got an A7N8X Deluxe 3 days ago and used the onboard sound until today, when I switched over to my tried-and-true SoundBlaster Live! 5.1.

Regardless of what you were told, the onboard sound is really good on that board, but no where close to the quality of an Audigy 2. Therefore, although it's up to you, I'd see if it wasn't possible to just keep using the Audigy 2.

To get into the BIOS, just hit DEL at the big, fancy, annoying splashscreen (the one right before it checks the SATA Raid adapters). Once in, to disable the onboard sound, go to Advanced > Integrated Peripherals and turn off "Onboard AC97 Audio Controller" and "Onboard AC97 Modem Controller" if they aren't already set to DISABLED (They're AUTO by default). Can't vouch for your personal setup, but works fine for my SB Live.

Good Luck, that's a nice board.

Comment

Originally posted by Perplexus
        I just got an A7N8X Deluxe 3 days ago and used the onboard sound until today, when I switched over to my tried-and-true SoundBlaster Live! 5.1.

Regardless of what you were told, the onboard sound is really good on that board, but no where close to the quality of an Audigy 2. Therefore, although it's up to you, I'd see if it wasn't possible to just keep using the Audigy 2.

To get into the BIOS, just hit DEL at the big, fancy, annoying splashscreen (the one right before it checks the SATA Raid adapters). Once in, to disable the onboard sound, go to Advanced > Integrated Peripherals and turn off "Onboard AC97 Audio Controller" and "Onboard AC97 Modem Controller" if they aren't already set to DISABLED (They're AUTO by default). Can't vouch for your personal setup, but works fine for my SB Live.

Good Luck, that's a nice board.

Yeah, somebody on another board told me to hit the delete key on startup and it worked to get into the BIOS! I went into the BIOS splash screen and once there, went into the "advanced menu" and put the setting for "recources controlled by" to manual.(It was on automatic) then, I was able to go into the "IRQ rescources menu" and set IRQ 5 (what I am told is the IRQ that MOST soundcards use and can give conflicts if set to automatic) to "reserved" for legacy device! I left all the other IRQs on automatic and then saved to cmos! Hopefully...THIS was what was causing my windows to give the IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL TO bluescreen errors and hopefully has fixed it!
        Here are my specs:
        System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

Hope that works, sounds like a rather odd way of doing it, but if it works, it works.

I believe (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) that most fairly modern sound cards share IRQ 11 with about a bajillion other things. I dunno if this is why you had problems or not, but if switching off IRQ 5 fixes it, then who cares?

Again, good luck

Comment

Well I had another bluescreen, so I will try to set IRQ 11 to reserved as well!!
            Here are my specs:

Comment

I just got off the phone with creative labs tech support and they said that the audigy 2 card does not really use any one specific IRQ slot, but the usual ones were IRQ 5,7,9 and 11....so just to be on the safe side I went ahead and reserved those 4 and saved and rebooted! He also showed me how to go into msconfig and to advanced in the boot.ini tab and set \pcilock so that windows xp does not change my settings! Believe me, I am doing everything I can to find out what is causing these bluescreens so that I can get them stopped!
              Here are my specs:

Comment

Well the only thing I know that bis left is two options.....I have already tried different hard drives, different video cards, and now I guess I will get some different RAM. But if this does NOT work....it is bye-bye to the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe! I just can't have a system causing me all sorts of problems like this when I had NONE before this! So I willl try getting better ram, but if that does not work, my options are limited. Shame, though, I have heard so many good things about this motherbaord, but have had nothing but trouble since I have had one!
                Here are my specs:

Comment

That mobo is very good but hey, Keep the Audigy2!

Your onboard sound is really good but it can't match your Audigy.

Comment

Someone suggested in another forum to set the FSB to RAM ratio to 1:1....the only thing I see in the BIOS is in advanbced chipset features called FSB spread spectrum and it has 3 choices Disabled 0.50% and 1.00% It is currently set to 0.50% do I need to change it to 1.00%???? Is that what they were talking about???
                    Here are my specs:

Comment

I went ahead and set it to 1.00% and it seems to be a lot faster, don't know about stability though, won't know that until next time if it crashes..... I also installed 2.45 drivers from nvidia.
                      Here are my specs:

Comment

after i posted the tread asking about SOYO and you said that you had the VTA pro i got one and really like it. good thing that you didn't sell it off yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightstalker
                          after i posted the tread asking about SOYO and you said that you had the VTA pro i got one and really like it. good thing that you didn't sell it off yet.

I HAVE sold that board! I sold it the chip and the memory! BUT I went today and had my ram replaced with some samsung memory (same size) I also overheard the guy replacing my ram at the store telling another person that this was what he was talking about (he was referring to my situation) I asked him if I was the only person that had trouble with ram in this board and he said NO...that IT HAPPENED all the time! That made me feel better anyway, I was beginning to wonder if it was the board acting up or just ME doing something wrong! The guy at the store went on to say that this board was VERY picky with memory and some people had to come back to the store and get acouple of differen t sticks TWICE in a row! Well I will keep you posted, if I have anymore bluescreens though my patience will be at an end with this board! I will pull it! I would rather have something that I know will WORK and be STABLE rather than have the fastest board and it be UNSTABLE! stability is a huge factor for me as I don't want to be replacing my motherboard all the time!
                          Here are my specs:

Comment

Well so far it seems to have worked! The new memory I put in is doing fine! And I am watching a TV show I downloaded off the internet and downloading another at the same time! If it does not give me bluescreens then, I should be OK!
                            Here are my specs:

Comment

Well it has been 3 days and NO bluescreens! I talked to somebody on another board and they said that using CHEAP RAM on this board for some reason, works better and doesn't give the IRQL NOT LESS THAN bluescreen! So if you get this board, do yourself a favor and get some cheap ram and stick it in ! It might save you some bucks!
                              Here are my specs:

Comment

Working...
                              X