Asus P4SD-LA?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AUDIO PROBLEMS
    I have audio problems as well. MY onboard audio only works in one channel. I have reinstalled the drivers, played with every sound setting imaginable to no avail. At first I thought I had the slider on the left to right channels not set to the center but apparently the problem is not software based. Hp support wants me to send in the computer for two weeks so they can replace the mobo but I am unwilling to lose my computer for two weeks.

VIDEO CARD
    The onboard video card works great but i am thinking about replacing it for an AIW card. From what I have heard the only advantage of 128 mb of ram over 64 mb is the higher reolutions you can display. Is there a performance advantage?

Comment

Originally posted by ansonkemp

VIDEO CARD
      The onboard video card works great but i am thinking about replacing it for an AIW card. From what I have heard the only advantage of 128 mb of ram over 64 mb is the higher reolutions you can display. Is there a performance advantage?
      Definate advantage

Comment

I just got the same M/B today for free. What is the max processor you can put on it? Can you put a Celeron 1.7 on it? I am looking for the most bang for the buck since I don't have alot of $$ to throw at it. What type of memory would you recommend?
        Is it worth keeping and building a system with?
        I currently would like to take advantage of the 8X AGP since I have a GeForce4 Ti 4600 in my current system that is being very supressed with my older MB and processor. I can't complain about the current ole Abit BE-6 it has worked flawlessly so far.

Comment

Originally posted by shad1097
          I just got the same M/B today for free. What is the max processor you can put on it? Is it worth keeping and building a system with? I currently would like to take advantage of the 8X AGP since I have a GeForce4 Ti 4600 in my current system that is being very supressed with my older MB and processor. I can't complain about the current ole Abit BE-6 it has worked flawlessly so far.
          If you have AGP 4X, you'll see no benefit, as 8X is one of the most overrated things on the market right now.
          Anyway, if the board is an Intel 865 chipset (lol, we havent confirmed that yet ;) ), itll take up to a 3.2Ghz 800mhz FSB, thogh I still think no matter the chipset since its got Dual DDR itll probably take the 3.2c

Comment

Well I was bold and pulled the heat sink off to check it is definately a intel chipset the only legible thing on it was 462. I believe? I would need a magnifying glass to read the small scrawling on it.

HP website claimed it has the:

Chipset Name
            Springdale-G, GMCH rev A2

Chipset 'North Bridge'
            865G, rev A2

Chipset 'South Bridge'
            ICH5, revA2

Comment

Taken from, http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search...00022505&lc=en (mentioned higher up), "Maximum Processor Core Frequency: Up to 3.2 GHz P4 Northwood "

Comment

I see that now after I posted. What processor would be the most bang for the buck for this? The socket is a 478 B is it any different than just the 478? I can get a celeron 2.6 gig for $84. How would you set it up on a budget?

Comment

Well I guess I found the info I needed this is a quote about the Celeron compared to the P4.

The main difference between a Pentium 4 processor and a Celeron is cache (high speed memory on the processor core) size. The Celeron takes a cut in L2 cache from 512KB down to 128KB. The L1 cache in the Celeron remains unchanged from that of its big brother. Cutting down the L2 cache's size will increase cache misses (number of times when the information that the processor needs is not located in the cache), which will slow down the processor while it has to wait for its data.
                  The Celeron processors are also limited to a 400MHz system bus, which, in turn, limits RAM speeds on the system to 133MHz (DDR266) when used on 865 or 875 based motherboards. Aside from these, the only other difference between Celeron and Pentium 4 is that none of the Celerons offer HyperThreading.

Comment

Get a 2.4Ghz 800mhz FSB P4, they run around $170 and they kick arse

Comment

Ya I guess I'll have to save up for the P4 like you said. Then go with 3200 DDR memory right. Do you think my GeForce 4 128MB Ti4600 would be good enough to put in this thing?

Comment

Originally posted by shad1097
                        Ya I guess I'll have to save up for the P4 like you said. Then go with 3200 DDR memory right. Do you think my GeForce 4 128MB Ti4600 would be good enough to put in this thing?
                        Twin 256mb PC3200(512mb total) would be great, Twin 512mb(1gb total) would kick ass. The ti4600 is fine for that

Comment

Should I go for a 8 MB cache HD or a 2 MB? I replace a crap load of HD's for Dell and think alot of the low end WD's are crap. What brand HD would you recommend?

Comment

Western Digital 8mb cache

Comment

Ok, this hp thing again.
                              Here is the link to that boards specs, again.
                              board specs and pic
                              athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                              tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                              asus a7n8xe-dlx
                              thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                              bfg 6800gt
                              seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                              samsung dvdrw
                              2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                              logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                              2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                              creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                              mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                              DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                              thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                              seagate sataII 500gb
                              evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                              samsung sata dvd-rw
                              2x1024 ocz black
                              logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                              ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

I think I might be getting a good deal on a 2.5 Pentium 4 but it's a 533 bus can I still use pc3200 memory?

Comment

Working...
                                X