Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soyo?

has anyone had any dealings with soyo?

on paper the dragon series of m/bs sound great (and look pretty cool if you get the platnum or black).

so back to my question.........any good, would you have one, and why or why not?

thanks in advance. night

Depends on what your goals are. Soyo makes a motherboard that pretty much can't be beat in terms of reliability and stability, but their appeal for the enthusiast crowd generally tends to be spotty. They don't usually overclock very well at all.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

i don't think that i would o/c it very much if any at all.

just wondering what people think

and they just look so damn cool

Comment

If overclocking isn't going to be an issue, then you will do well with a Soyo board. Their reputation of being stable is well earned.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

I usually hear great things about them online, but the local shops I trust refuse to carry them. They pretty much back away from Soyo like a vampire does to garlic.

I agree they look really sweet, and are one of the few companies that still equip their latest boards with IDE RAID instead of SATA. I haven't gotten one yet, simply because of the conflicting experiences and the higher price they carry.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightstalker
            has anyone had any dealings with soyo?

on paper the dragon series of m/bs sound great (and look pretty cool if you get the platnum or black).

so back to my question.........any good, would you have one, and why or why not?

thanks in advance. night

Oh, you might say I have had some "dealings" with a soyo motherboard.....that is what I am using as we speak! Soyo SY-K7VTA-Pro..... Kind of a lower end motherboard, but I am running my AMD Athlon xp 2000 chip on it and it is very stable! I don't overclock either! I am very pleased as far as stability is concerned, but the drawback of this particular board, is that it uses SDRAM memory! I am getting a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe pretty soon, because I want to upgrade my motherboard and be able to use DDRAM! But as far as the company is concerned, I think they are OK in my book!
            Here are my specs:
            System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

I've worked on a few Soyo's at customer's request but found those as buggy a hell.

Comment

Just upgraded with an XP 2600+ and SOYO KT 400 Dragon Ultra. Had a few bugs to work out initially, mostly dealing with the onboard LAN, slightly tweaking some of the BIOS settings (not overclocking) and I am very pleased with the performance and stability. Started out using the PC 2100 DDR memory I had, nowwaiting on arrival of PC 2700 to really start working on this outfit, but I think you will love it. If you're into overclocking, this board gives you just about any option you would want. Hint: If you're using Windows XP for you OS and rely on MS Update, do not download the update for the VIA network adapter, it ain"t worth the aggravation!

Comment

A friend of mine had one, and it had a few little bugs in it. Had two identical sticks of RAM, one worked, the other didn't. They both worked fine in other PCs though.

Comment

hey webe3 you should just send me that soyo when you are done upgrading.

Comment

Working...
                    X