Msi Km2m-l (ms-6738)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Msi Km2m-l (ms-6738)

Just picked up one of these today along with a Duron 1.1ghz, replacing a dead Asus s370 mobo and P3... looks like a decent low-end board, integ vid/aud/lan, 3xPCI & AGP4x, 6xUSB 2.0 (4x onboard, no bracket included for the additional 2x tho, which is sort of lame), 2xSDRAM and 2xDDR slots, supports anything from a Duron 600mhz - XP 2600+ (minus the 2500+ Barton, ofc)... only ran me $90CDN from a local shop, looks like a good alternative to the ECS K7S5A series... I'll let you know if I run into any problems
    386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
    -----

/Z

The board was a fairly simple install, it had a decent layout, component locations, capacitor placement, etc.. the integ vid can only go up to 32mb, but I've got it running with a tnt2 32mb AGP card anyway, which it supported flawlessly... however, I did run into two odd glitches with it
    1) With SDRAM installed, if I disabled Quick Boot (enabled the memory count), it would freeze solid every time during POST.. with Quick Boot enabled, or DDR memory in it, it was fine
    2) Had a generic 350w PS in the case, its tested and works fine on a Duron 900mhz w/ECS K7S5A, but the MSI mobo refused to boot (no Video/no POST) with it.. put in a good-quality AOpen 300w PS, and its happy... odd

and the reason MSI cheaps out and dosn't include a PCI bracket for the aditional USB ports, is because they specify that they're used for front-usb on cases... oh well, at least they provide the pinouts, and the headers look to be in fairly standard configuration

overall, not a bad low-end/budget board, it certainly gets the job done
    386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
    -----

/Z

Comment

Originally posted by Zaltec

2) Had a generic 350w PS in the case, its tested and works fine on a Duron 900mhz w/ECS K7S5A, but the MSI mobo refused to boot (no Video/no POST) with it.. put in a good-quality AOpen 300w PS, and its happy... odd
      I actually have a very similar problem with my ECS K7S5A mobo running with a 400W PS. I get no Vid/no POST. Though, it will work every so often, but when I attempt to turn on the computer after shutting down, I get the noVid/POST problem...if I wait a while(sometime over 12 hours) I will eventually get a proper boot.

Comment

I was thinkin of picking up a couple of those boards as they are dirt cheap and have everything onboard.. I think the cheapest I have found them for is $82 CAD. Let us know how it is over the next few days stability wise.

Comment

welp, the system's been running for a month now (MSI KM2M-L, Duron 1.1ghz, 256mb PC133, TNT2 32mb AGP, 20gig 7200rpm etc on WinXP), been very stable.. after all the software updates/installs and required reboots, its been running for 2-3 weeks now steady.. not too shabby for a budget board

and $82CDN is a good price, CanadaComputers has it listed for $84.. I paid $90 from a local store that I used to work for, but it retails for $98 here now (was $105 retail last month)
          -----

/Z

Comment

hi.. planning to buy a km2m-l in a week or two.. read about your experience... not bad for a cheap/ all in mobo.. i've read that some people have issues installing win98.. i am planning to use either ME or XP... here's the spec..(building it for my bro.. use for MS Office, surfing, mp3 and lite gaming.. no CS or DOOM

- duron 1.3GHZ
            - msi km2m-l
            - 20GB seagate medalist (5400rpm)
            - 128MB DDR - Kingston Value (any suggestion??)
            - 350w generic psu(anyone got problem using generic psu apart from Zaltec??)
            - other normal things (kb,mouse,monitor,speaker etc)

what do you think??
            :?: any suggestion..? :woot: Zaltec.. hows your PC??Just curious:?:

Comment

If you are going to run XP then get at least 256mb RAM, and stay away from Win ME it is evil.

PS alot of ppl using this board with durons forget to change the FSB jumper to 100MHz, it must be one of only a few mobos to still have that:)

Comment

If ya want a look at an intergrated AMD mobo for a Duron then I'd suggest the ASUS A7N266-VM. No o/c features but a good reliable one (MSI has never been good with me).

Comment

Duron or nice but you'll be happier with and Athlon or XP so when u up it again get a steped up cpu L1 L2 chase is bigger
                  :devil win

Comment

Working...
                  X