ECS k7s5a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECS k7s5a

I got a new mobo/cpu for Christmas and its been running quite well (ecs k7a5a/athlonXP 1900+) but if i run my computer with the side of my case on apparently the chipset of the mobo is getting too hot and causing my computer to freeze. I have switched heatsinks on my cpu, added 4 case fans, switched out the video card and nothing seems to help, however I read in a review of the mobo I have that it should only require passive cooling...but I can feel that the heatsink on the chipset is very hot after a freeze..would something like a crystal orb or some other chipset cooler be the way to go? Or did I get a bad mobo?

You could try that though the one hear with an Athlon 1200C with olny 2 case fans and a ThermoEngine has no problems with heat even in the Aussie summer with no aircon. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I used that motherboard with an XP 1600+ procesor and had none of the problems you describe. It was very stable......Overheating was not an issue..............No extra fans were used. The customer has reported no problems......

Comment

AMD cpu's run hot. Go here and download Motherboard monitor.
        See if its to hot or not and go from there.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
        <!-- Begin Code Amber Ticker code. -->
        <P ALIGN=CENTER>
        <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2" src="http://www.codeamber.org/js/codea.js">
        </script>
        </P>
        <!-- end of Code Amber Ticker code (c)Copyright codeamber.org 2002, 2003-->

Comment

got it all worked out, my mobo was running a bit too hot when playing games...my friend had the same prob...i think its the higher end graphics cards making the board work harder or something because i have a radeon 8500 and he has a geforce 3...worked it out by getting a crystal orb and attatching to northbridge chip on mobo

Comment

Hey pcollege, check out this site.

http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi...&f=27&t=001070

It has a comprehensive section on the ECS K7S5A

Lots of people have had trouble with these boards (especially the earlier revisions) I certainly did

The link below will take you to a particular page that outlines a problem with the double sided tape used to attach the heatsink on the SIS 735 chipset ...It doesn't do a very good job (apparently) and these guys recommend twisting it off and then re attaching with something decent.

My system certainly will freeze up once MBM registers 35 C + on the chipset probe (I read somewhere that the sensor isn't on the chipset but along the mobo a bit further? so the actual temp on the chipset is probably much higher), but I havent had that problem since I upgraded into my new case (cooler)

I'm about to re-do the heatsink this weekend while I'm in there mounting my new Bitspower NP-80D cpu cooler.

You may have guessed that I'm getting ready to try my hand at overclocking! it's my first time, I'd better be gentle!

(Can anyone recommend a good guide to O.C'ing the TBird 1400?)

Other problems: This mobo seems to be very fussy about the quality of the P.S.U. and also sensitive to RAM quality (I have another brand stick of 256 meg ram sitting in my cupboard because it wont run both brands without locking up)

Any way log into their forums and check it all out (you may hate me for directing you to this forum!, it's absolutely huge because of all the problems with this board, but once their right - they fly!)

BTW what OS are you running?

I CAN'T STOP TINKERING WITH THIS THING - AAARGHH! :hammer:
            (Make yourself usefull and hand me that round cable will ya)
            ECS K7S5A
            T-BIRD 1400
            256 PC133
            LEADTEK GE FORCE 2 PRO 64 DDR
            CREATIVE LIVE VALUE
            350 W ENERMAX DUAL FAN PSU
            SONY CD ROM
            RICOH 20x 10 x40 CD RW
            AL3 ALUMINIUM CASE + REAR FAN
            SONY 17" FLAT CRT

Comment

Very strange as I have one of the earlier boards and I've had no probs, but then quality memory, AMD approved PSU and good case cooling maybe why. :smokin:

Comment

Hi Wiggo, Strange indeed! and literally thousands would agree on the OC workbench forum. Have you checked it out, It's a good read.

But Yes, Yes and Yes to your suggestions on quality components.

I have upgraded my case and psu so far.

I'll do the chipset heatsink thing, upgrade the cpu cooler and next will be some classy DDR sticks. I don't expect any problems from here on.

What brand DDR are you running?

There has been another problem with this board and win 98 - due to it's speed really and there is a patch from microsoft that I downloaded to play it safe (as recommended from the ecs forum).

"The Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache Package provides a workaround to a recently identified issue with computers that have the combination of Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE) hard disk drives with large caches and newer/faster processors. Computers with this combination may risk losing data if the hard disk shuts down before it can preserve the data in its cache"

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d...17/Default.asp

I CAN'T STOP TINKERING WITH THIS THING (too much fun to be had!)
                (Hey make yourself usefull and hand me that round cable will ya)
                ECS K7S5A
                T-BIRD 1400
                256 PC133
                13 GIG QUANTUM FIREBALL 7200 RPM
                LEADTEK GE FORCE 2 PRO 64 DDR
                CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER LIVE VALUE
                350 W ENERMAX DUAL FAN PSU
                SONY CD ROM
                RICOH 20x 10 x40 CD RW
                AL3 ALUMINIUM CASE + REAR FAN
                SONY 17" FLAT CRT

Comment

Well I use Kingmax memory (yes Albinus I know how ya feel about them but I've only ever had 1 dud and that was quickly replaced) and I always update the software (Cnet Catchup is good as well as M$) and I had heard about that forum but I've never been to it as I have had no reason to.
                  The case here uses a 80mm HS fan (50cfm) and 80mm (40cfm) blowhole plus the PSU fan which is no slouch either. :smokin:

Comment

Working...
                  X