204 pin vs 240 pin RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 204 pin vs 240 pin RAM

I am building a new system, which I have done before. I bought everything at the same time from AMAZON including Corsair 1600 MHZ (PC3 1200) DDR 3 Vengeance 9CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9B (2 x 4GB) sticks and +Corsair Vengeance (2 x 8 GB) DDR 3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) also labeled Desktop Memory. CNL16G3M2A1600C10B.
    I have installed all 4 sticks and have now discovered the (2 x 8 sticks) are LAPTOP RAM (204 pin). The (2 x 4 sticks ) are desktop memory with 240 pins.

I had NO trouble installing either set, 204 versus 240. I have researched various sites and can find NO reference that the two are incompatible. Are they?

Can I use both type of pins at the same time in the same mobo?

Many thanks in advance.

Re: 204 pin vs 240 pin RAM

laptop ram will not fit in a standard desktop tower, its too short its about half the size of desktop ram. it needs to be 240 pin too fit in your standard desktop tower could you specify more at all what it is you have? i know you said the name and everything already but i think you may be getting the 204 mixed up possibly? or maybe its server ram?

Comment

Re: 204 pin vs 240 pin RAM

ohh i see now..204 pin is indeed laptop ram and should not work or fit in a desktop unless you buy the adapter for it..if you got it at amazon you often times can return it and they may even allow you too keep the product if you word it rite or give you an instant refund credited too your account on amazon if you ask for it upfront. i recommend just returning it and getting the same ram thats 240 that you have already...you could use two different sets but what ever ram is slower in example 1333mhz aND 1600MHZ it will only run at the speed of the slowest set of ram installed

Comment

Working...
      X