Ram compatabillity......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram compatabillity......

I know this type of question gets asked every week but i am a novice at this. I have been looking at different makes and models of ram to upgrade my system as i play battlefield 3. I have tried to read up on the different speeds, types and makes of ram and have come across the corsair vengeance 16gb(4x4gb kit) Dual channel ddr3 CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B. This seems to be a very good choice by what i have read but am still unsure. I tried to check weather it is compatible with my MOBO and found a site that says it is compatible up untill it hits 1600MHz then there is a star next to 1600MHz and 1800MHz with (OC) next to it. Does this mean i have to overclock my computer for it to run at these higher speeds? My system spec is
    MOBO - MSI P55M-GD45 (MS-7588)
    GPU - AMD Sapphire Radion HD 6950
    CPU - Intel i7 860 @ 2.8GHz
    RAM - Kingston 4GB (2x2GB)

Any help would be great, or even some sudgestions for a better choice of ram.
    Cheers.
    Processor - Ivy Bridge i7 3770K OC @ 4.7GHz
    MOBO - Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    BIOS - F7
    Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
    HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500Gb
    SSD - Crucial M4 128Gb (Boot Drive)
    GPU - 2 x Sapphire Radion HD 6950 in Crossfirex config
    RAM - Kingston HyperX 2x4Gb @ 1866MHz
    PSU - XFX 850w core bronze cert
    Case - Bitfenix Raider
    Mouse - Logitech G9x

Re: Ram compatabillity......

Those sould work fine in your motherboard, although you may need to tinker a bit in the BIOS to get 16GB stable but not always.
    http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-16g...4a1600c9b.html

You may be better off stability-wise to pick out a 8GB kit 2x4GB, and that should be easier on your wallet and would be plenty to game with too.

Comment

Cheers for that. What settings might need to be tweaked in the bios? Why might they be unstable? I'm just trying to learn as much as I can so I understand how to properly match ram with specific mobos and systems. Cheers.
      BIOS - F7
      Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
      Case - Bitfenix Raider
      Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

16GB is a lot for any board, and those were made lately with more intention towards newer boards than P55, that's all I meant. Their page says it should be fine on any I3/5/7 board, so you should be alright, but you may need to tweak QPI/Vtt and possibly memory voltage since you'd be using it on an older board. Or you could enable XMP, that may set it stable for you right off the bat, if not you'll need to set a few things manually.

If you do not need 16GB I suggest you don't buy it, it's often more hassle the more memory you use, and it can hold back overclocks if you are into that. If you only surf the web and game, ect but don't edit massive video files or run multiple virtual machines, you really shouldn't need 16GB and would be more than fine with an 8GB kit.

If you want to be 100% sure what works with your board, you should google your board model and 8GB memory and see what memory models others are using in forums. MSI website should also have an old QVL list for memory they tested to be compatible back when the board launched, that might not help too much but I would look at it and see if any of those models are still for sale too.

Comment

I have just gone ahead and bought myself the corsair 8GB vengance 2x4gb kit. I installed it and it registered fine so i though 'why not shove my old ram in too?' so i did. i am now running 2x4gb corsair vengance 1600MHz dual channel as well as 2x2gb kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G which i'm guessing is 1333MHz dual channel. Now.............. this is running fine, i have 12288Mb ram registered but the DRAM Frequency is 668MHz acording to CPU-Z. Would i be right in thinking that i can boost the DRAM Frequency in the BIOS to 1333MHz to get a better speed from all 4 sticks as i am limmited to the speed of my slowest ram set? If this is correct can someone please tell me how i do this and if it is safe to do so. Also i noticed the Command Rate has changed from 1T to 2T, is the as i am using both channels now? Cheers,
          P23unk.
          BIOS - F7
          Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
          Case - Bitfenix Raider
          Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

Originally posted by P23UNK View Post
            I have just gone ahead and bought myself the corsair 8GB vengance 2x4gb kit. I installed it and it registered fine so i though 'why not shove my old ram in too?' so i did. i am now running 2x4gb corsair vengance 1600MHz dual channel as well as 2x2gb kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G which i'm guessing is 1333MHz dual channel. Now.............. this is running fine, i have 12288Mb ram registered but the DRAM Frequency is 668MHz acording to CPU-Z. Would i be right in thinking that i can boost the DRAM Frequency in the BIOS to 1333MHz to get a better speed from all 4 sticks as i am limmited to the speed of my slowest ram set? If this is correct can someone please tell me how i do this and if it is safe to do so. Also i noticed the Command Rate has changed from 1T to 2T, is the as i am using both channels now? Cheers,
            P23unk.
            thats normal in cpu-z,its ddr (double data rate) to you have to times what you see so 668x2=1336mhz<-- which is the speed your rams actually running at,not 668mhz
            change 2t to 1t,you might need a little more cpu/nb voltage maybe one or two clicks if unstable but should run 1t fine
            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

That's great, cheers. Just after I posted that I looked in the BIOS and it said it was running at 1333mhz, now I understand why it was reading differently in CPU-z. What is the 1t and 2t and what is the difference between the two?
              BIOS - F7
              Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
              Case - Bitfenix Raider
              Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

Also i've just run prime95 to see how the ram is working and it registers all 12GB of ram but it only tests 4GB of it. Why would this be? Sorry for the newbie questions. Cheers
                BIOS - F7
                Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
                Case - Bitfenix Raider
                Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

1t will be quicker than 2t,its a cycle of clocks that times the other cycles of ram timing and 1t is quicker

as for prime 95 not sure,isnt there an option to test all available ram? blend test tests alot of ram,or run memtest86
                  Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                  Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

I have yet another RAM based question for you techs. I have now (after a new train of thought) decided to take out my old kingston ram and have left in the new corsair ram as it runs faster. I have now discovered my MOBO only supports up to 1333MHz and to get 1600 upwards you need to overclock. I am not trying to find out how to overclock my specific MOBO to accept 1600MHz RAM. I know there are a few different timings that can be tweaked and the voltage but having never tried anything like this before I would like some professional opinions before i go ahead and start tampering with, for all i know, a crutial setting of some sort.
                    Cheers.
                    BIOS - F7
                    Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
                    Case - Bitfenix Raider
                    Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

does that ram support xmp? if so it will set everything up for you,try and see if ram runs at 1600mhz with xmp enabled in bios
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

I've tried enabling XMP in bios but when ever I do the computer won't load windows or post. I have to turn power off and take out corsair RAM and fit Kingston RAM and turn it back on. I think its due to my.MOBO not supporting RAM over 1333 MHz without being overclocked. Would this be correct?
                        BIOS - F7
                        Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
                        Case - Bitfenix Raider
                        Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

im not sure,so you want to run ram at 1600mhz? not sure on the max cpu multi on that chip so set bclk to 21x160 in bios,disable intel turbo boost,set cpu voltage to normal,set qpi/vtt to 1.25v,set dram voltage to whats printed on ram,either 1.5v or 1.66v

set spd(system memory multiplier) to 10x which will give you 1600mhz ram speed,and can either leave timings on auto or set the top four slots in each memory bank/channel to your rams rated timings for example 9-9-9-24

save/exit and it should be fine,cpu will be slightly oc'd to 3.36ghz
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

That's brilliant, ill try those setting and see what happens. This should be stable, just run a little hotter under load conditions yeah? Just a quick question before I try this, what if I change these settings and the computer won't post or load, how do I get back into BIOS to revert to factory settings?
                            BIOS - F7
                            Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
                            Case - Bitfenix Raider
                            Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

it will do automatically if not remove mb battery for 30 second and try,it shouldnt run any hotter
                              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Working...
                              X