Ram compatabillity......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ram compatabillity......

I went into BIOS and struck some noob problems, the voltage setting were locked to auto bit after doing some searching I found out u use the + and - keys on the number pad to alter these settings. Also the memory settings for the RAM are memory ratio 3,4,5,6 or auto so wasn't sure how to set it at 10x to get 1600mhz. I tried.the oc without changing the voltages and it failed so had to google on my phone about removing the cmos battery to reset BIOS. This is some.ordeal to get new RAM! Lol
    Processor - Ivy Bridge i7 3770K OC @ 4.7GHz
    MOBO - Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    BIOS - F7
    Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
    HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500Gb
    SSD - Crucial M4 128Gb (Boot Drive)
    GPU - 2 x Sapphire Radion HD 6950 in Crossfirex config
    RAM - Kingston HyperX 2x4Gb @ 1866MHz
    PSU - XFX 850w core bronze cert
    Case - Bitfenix Raider
    Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

sorry i didnt explain more,you need to set bclk to 21x160 first then you should be able to set 10x memory ratio, unless 8x is the highest it will go
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

My BIOS must be slightly different as i set the DRAM timing to 5 on the scale of 3,4,5,6,auto and it set the ram speed to 1600MHz. Wazza i set up the voltages as you had said after finding out i could change them from auto, the cpu is running at 3.36GHz and after figuring out my BIOS my ram is now running at 1600MHz. Thank you for your advice . My running temps are quite a bit higher now, sitting at an average of about 49 degrees idol and hitting around 100 under load. I've not tried stress testing it properly yet as i think it will go well above 100 degrees so i am going to purchase a CPU cooler and then OC the cpu to around 4GHz and have the ram running 1600MHz. I know this will be in the wrong section with this question but am i right in thinking the Noctua NH-D14 is "The ****" as far as cpu coolers go without getting into serious water cooling systems that cost a fortune?
        Cheers.
        BIOS - F7
        Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
        Case - Bitfenix Raider
        Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

are you using stock cooler? 3.2ghz is your limit with stock intel cooler,set cpu voltage to normal setting? get that noctua asap
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Yes, that's a decent cooler, just make sure you have room around your socket and for the memory!

Comment

Cheers for all the advice everyone. Is there a better cooler for the same price bracket or would you recommend that particular Noctua? I've read on another forum that someone who had the same vengance ram fitted a Noctua D14 and it just made it and no more, possibly touching the bottom of the cooler but i could always trim a little off the top of the heat sink of the ram, i wouldn't think it would make any differance. I'm just about to take some measurements and comepare with that of the D14. Fingers crossed. Yes Wazza i'm currently running the stock Intel cooler and the temps are fluctuating alot from around 42 to 55 degrees at idol. I'm not sure what the CPU voltage is, i didn't change it from what it was origonally set to.
              Last edited by P23UNK; 03-13-2012, 12:11 PM.
              BIOS - F7
              Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
              Case - Bitfenix Raider
              Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

normal will be better than auto for cpu voltage,the gelid tranquillo is a good budget cooler and the hyper 212,other dearer coolers are prolimatech megahalems cooler and the true 120,i think those budget coolers will be more than enough for your mild oc,
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Here is another question for you...... is there a simple way to reset to factory settings in bios to un-overclock the comp? Is there an option to do this in the bios usually? I have measured my case and lay out for the Noctua and it is too tall to fit into the case but i can run it with the cover off, i will also need to remove the heat sinks from my new vengeance ram but it should fit in apart from that..... maybe i can cut a raised window of some sort in the side of the case to accomodate the noctua's extra 5mm or so. Cheers again.
                  BIOS - F7
                  Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
                  Case - Bitfenix Raider
                  Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

did you look at the gelid tranquilo and hyper 212? i have the noctua d14 fitted and the fans that come with it are noisy,it will annoy the hell out of you,i switched mine to pwm controlled akasa ones,but im not that impressed with it,its 7c cooler than my akasa nero s,

to reset the bios you press one of the f buttons or it will say in bios somwehere,make sure you set sata mode back to ahci if you were using it as it will reset to ide
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Hello again, I just took delivery of my brand new Noctua NH-D14. It is installed and running, i had to move the outside fan up by about 5mm to accomodate my vangeance ram and the clip on the centre fan is touching the top of my GPU(i spaced them with a thin rubber spacer) but apart from that it is running like a dream. I had Prime95 running for half an hour and the temps averaged 51.6 degrees C, not sure what the ambiant temp is but id guess about 20-22 degrees C. What a difference, i couldn't run Prime 95 for 1 minute after slightly overclocking as mentioned previously without the temp rising to 100 degrees! Any more advice for overclocking my setup Wazza? I'm looking to get it to 4GHz. Cheers.
                      BIOS - F7
                      Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
                      Case - Bitfenix Raider
                      Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

where are you atm with oc settings,cpu voltage,qpi/vtt or imc voltage,dram voltage ect

tell me whats the max mem and cpu multiplier with that chip/mb?
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

I've just been testing the max BCLK for this setup and it is stable at BCLK 210 with VTT @ 1.340v. All the settings are at stock right now, i wanted to get the max bclk first then work from there. The RAM is 1.5v. What is the best place to start once you have your maximum bclk?
                          BIOS - F7
                          Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
                          Case - Bitfenix Raider
                          Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

I've been trying a few different things and don't seem to be having much luck, i managed to set the multiplier to 20 bclk to 170 vtt to 1.340 and pll at 1.8 and it was stable running at 3.4GHz (only ran prime95 and intel burn test for like 2 mins) but when ever i try to increase anything from there the oc fails, weather i increase the bclk or bclk with pll. This ocing isn't easy to get to grips with. Any help would be great... again. Cheers.
                            BIOS - F7
                            Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
                            Case - Bitfenix Raider
                            Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

try this for 4.2ghz

CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
                              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Disabled]
                              C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Enabled]
                              CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
                              CPU EIST Function ............................ [Enabled]
                              Virtualization Technology ................... [Enabled]
                              Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
                              QPI Link Speed .............................. 4.8 Ghz
                              Uncore Frequency .......................... 17x
                              Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
                              Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Disabled]
                              BCLK Frequency (MHz) ..................... 200
                              PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [Auto]
                              C.I.A.2 [couldn't find this]

Advanced Clock Control:
                              CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
                              PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
                              CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
                              IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
                              Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard]
                              Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) .........
                              System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [manual 8x]
                              DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [manual and then click expert]

Channel A + B + CChannel A Timing Settings:
                              ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
                              CAS Latency Time ...................... 8 type these in yourself in top 4 spaces according to whats printed on YOUR ram(do this for each channel a,b,c)
                              tRCD ....................................... 8
                              tRP ......................................... 8
                              tRAS ....................................... 24

Command Rate (CMD) ................ 1T

Advanced Voltage Control:CPU
                              Load Line Calibration ................. [Standard]
                              CPU Vcore ............................... 1.21600v [set to Normal]
                              QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............ 1.175v [set to 1.32v-1.35v you will need to test start with 1.32v]
                              CPU PLL 1.800v ....................... 1.800v [Auto]
                              Dynamic voltage control....(Dvid).....set to +0.0550v

MCH/ICH
                              PCIE 1.500v ........................... 1.500v [Auto]
                              QPI PLL 1.100v ....................... 1.100v [Auto]
                              IOH Core 1.100v ..................... 1.200v [Auto]
                              ICH I/O 1.500v ....................... 1.500v [Auto]
                              ICH Core 1.1v ........................ 1.100v [Auto]

DRAMDRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. 1.500v [set to 1.66v] or 1.5v if your ram is 1.5v,look on the box
                              DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO] 0.750v [AUTO]
                              Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO] 0.750v [AUTO]
                              Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO] 0.750v [AUTO]
                              Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO] 0.750v [AUTO]
                              Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO] 0.750v [AUTO]
                              Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO] 0.750v [AUTO]
                              Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO] 0.750v [AUTO]
                              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Working...
                              X