dual channel vs single?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual channel vs single?

I have 512 dual channel ddr ram, (256 x 2).

I also have a single channel 256 RAM. Now my question is, I have the dual channel RAM in the same colored slots, now is the dual channel mode disabled with my single channel ram on the motherboard?

My friends say yes, no dual channel mode, but is this true?

And if so, I have a 512 stick of DDR2 being shipped, will that negate the dual channel mode even though i have the 2 other sticks in the same colored slots.

Please help me, I hope I didn't waste money by not buying 2 more dual channel sticks.

Gibs...

Re: dual channel vs single?

what motherboard are you running? As long as you put them in the appropriate slot that would activate dual channel in the motherboard, it will work (the 2X256MB). You need to have matching memory in the channels to activate dual. Putting in 2X256 in one channel and 1X512MB in the other may work, but that really depends on the motherboard. Not many will run with a setup like that.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

ASUS: A8N-SLI

What do you think?

Comment

Unless I'm missing something big, current AMD processors do not support DDR2.

Comment

Good point, I missed the DDR2. That motherboard will not support DDR2 as well as the CPU will not support it.

If you are lucky, you can try 2 sticks of DDR 2X256 in one channel and you could get 1 stick of 512MB in the other channel to activate Dual Channel mode if it has the EXACT same timings and SPD values. I suggest just getting either another 2X256 kit or wait and get a 2X512MB kit.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate

Comment

can any of you tell me what the total RAM that motherboard can support? as in can i have 2 gigs of RAM?

Comment

You'd be better off buying 2 x 1GB sticks and sell your old memory off.

Comment

Yes, definitely get 2 1GB sticks. Look for OCZ or Corsair. Get Value ram if funds are tight, or get OCZ Platinum 2 X 1GB sticks if you can. They are some of the best on the market.
                GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                PC P&C 500W PSU
                2TB Seagate

Comment

you can also get patriot ram great value for its speeds and performance

Comment

Working...
                  X