Corsair memory and other brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corsair memory and other brands

I have a question about memory. Last week i tried to upgrade my memory to 2 GB by adding an additional 1GB memory stick to my K8N Neo Platinum board. The new stick made my system unstable and I ended up having to remove it. Upon further investigation Corsair said that the I had to have the same exact memory part number and revision level. They actually reccommended buying all the memory i needed when i first built the system 2yrs ago. This got me a little upset because i was not expecting to buy new memory but i eneded up wanting to get more (hence the word upgrade). Since there is no way to make sure what version of memory I get it is pretty much impossible to upgrade without buying all new sticks. My question is, does this condition exist for other memory companies?

Re: Corsair memory and other brands

Did you try using just the new memory to see if it has problems all by it self (i.e. without the old memory in place)? What speed of DDR are we talking about? 333? 400? So long as you bought memory that is supported by your board it "should" work but different boards sometimes have quirks. I looks like your board is fussy as to what slot the memory is placed in depending on if it is single or double sided. Check out this page to see if both sticks are in the correct slots: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=572
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

The new stick works fine by itself. The new stick is cmx1024-3200PT. When I tired it in combination with one of the Twinx the system stable for maybe 15mins. i had to change my timings 3-3-3-8 I think. When I took out the new memory and replaced it with the old memory Windows told me that my video driver got corrupted. Could this be due to switching diffrent memory in and out of the system?

Comment

Originally posted by jamur87
        When I took out the new memory and replaced it with the old memory Windows told me that my video driver got corrupted. Could this be due to switching diffrent memory in and out of the system?
        The coruption was moslt likely due to you computer being unstable in windows and crashing or shuting down, in the process corrupting your graphics driver.

Be on the lookout for more corupted files, we just had a problem a week ago with my fathers computer in that it would not stop crashing, and he lost the ability to boot up windows. Although that is a more extreme case.

Comment

Yeah I've tried removing and reinstalling the drivers to no avail. The screen still gets jumbled up. I even tried going back to a previous version and the same thing happened.

Comment

Working...
          X